E30 front subframe reinforcement

peerless

Hello,

I just aquired some solid motor and trans mounts for my 85' 325e and have heard of the front subframe cracking around the motor mounts on the E30 chassis. I am trying to do some research so I can get this done when I install the mounts.

I have a good friend who can fabricate the reinforcement plates and tig weld them in for me. I seen TMS had a kit at a affordable price.

Pictures speak a thousand words. If any of you SpecE30 or GTS folks can point me in the right direction or throw up some pictures, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I .... have heard of the front subframe cracking ... I am trying to do some research so I can get this done .....

Reading this it sounds like you are trying to get the cracking done now, rather than wait for it....lol.

I knew what you meant and was not aware of a cracking issue with the E30.

You guys are allowed solid mounts? I try to follow the E30 class as I think it offers great racing. Looking forward to seeing the pics you have requested.

best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

While not exactly the same car, I've had to reweld the motor mounts on my E30 M3 twice now. Once was due to poor quality repair by the po and the other time was due to stress cracks caused by a thicker roll bar. Bimmerworld, Turner and Korman all offer subframe bracing kits. I'd highly recommend them if you are going with solid motor mounts.

I have not heard much about E30 having a front subframe cracking problem. The rear anti-sway bar link mounts on the trailing arms must be reinforced, as do the sway bar mounts in the trunk. Go to http://www.spece30.com and get on the forum there, its much more active with E30 folks and you'll get tons of input. I am in my first season of Spec E30 racing and I can tell you its a HOOT, and a really great group to race with. Close, clean (most of the time) competition in cars that hold up well and don't cost and arm and a leg to repair.

Put an i motor in there and come racing.