Competition License

wiredwrx

Hello All,

I looked around, adn found the general process for obtaining a license, the long way and the short way.

I have some questions about the long way, by way of the HPDE's.

Several of the people in my office want to obtain racing licenses. We have all been to the track in excess of 10 times each, although some of us have been more then that. These events are usually held by Speedtrialusa, or private days when the company rents out the track. We also have attended many Media Events (We are a car magazine) where there has been some instruction as well.

Since we are not novices, if we do an HPDE, do we still start in the beginner groups. Is it something we choose when we sign up, or do they assign us a group. Can we move in a single event from group to group, or is a that we are "stuck" in #1 or #2 group for the whole day.

Since some of us have attended various driving programs, would they "count" towards a license.

Also, what is the average cost of an HPDE?

Thanx

Michael

From my experience all you have to do is sign up for the group you feel comfortable in. all depends on what level your at.. have you done open passing before?

you do not have to run 1 or 2 to move up.. But .. if you find yourself in a group that you don't belong in they will ask you to move down a level.

BrianZ's response was right for most events I have been to. I would suggest however that before promoting yourself up a notch in run groups, start in your 'regular' group for at least one session. Then, take a look at the group you are considering and look at both their respective lap times and cars involved. Make sure there is a fit there. You don't want to be so far off the pace as to be a moving chicane.

Also, if you are looking at going into the fastest run groups with open passing, please do so with care. Those of us running in the open groups for the most part all have competition licenses, race prepared cars and we have an expectation on the part of other drivers that we can be in very close proximity to each other and not worry about what will the guy next/in front of us do next.

My experience with SpeedTrial (although only a few events a couple of years ago) was that everyone thought they were ready to be in the fastest group because their fill-in-the-blank car had a turbo kit and they'd been to the track once before... well I hope you know what I am getting at.

I'll be at the 5/23 Sears Point/Infineon HPDE instructing and testing my car for the next race. Have fun out there!

Oh, back to your original question. Cost is $150-$200. You may also want to check out http://www.tracquest.com for DE events. More expensive but you get a lot of time and catered food.

Having recently gotten my competition license (wooot!), I agree with Brian, you sign up for the group your most comfortable with. I'd go ahead and sign up for group 3, IMHO, and see how that goes. Don't get into group 4 unless you're already very comfortable with open passing rules.

I wouldn't stress too much about the events counting towards your license, you're going to have to run a bunch in Group 3 to get comfortable enough to move to Group 4, and then enough in Group 4 to really feel ok about racing. Having someone slide in under you going into T-hill turn 9 can be a little hairy

All IMHO, I do not speak for NASA. They may have a different point of view.

Regards,

PaulC

From my experience all you have to do is sign up for the group you feel comfortable in

The registrar and chief instructor will place you in the group that they think you best fit into based on your experience.

Without knowing any background other than 10 events, I would say Group 2

With 10 events under the belt, and you would say HPDE 2? Wow, I didn't have any events experience prior to my first HPDE, and I drove in HPDE 3.

With 10 events under the belt, and you would say HPDE 2?

It was just a general guideline since I dont know much about the prior experience.

Wow, I didn't have any events experience prior to my first HPDE, and I drove in HPDE 3.

IMHO, that shouldnt have happened.... which region?

• 6 months later...
Is HPDE 2 lead/follow parade laps?

No, none of the HPDE groups are that. HPDE2 is passing on straights with point-by, instructor in car. This group is also sometimes referred to as Intermediate.

Intermediate students have done several events, typically at more than one track, are comfortable at speed in traffic and have mastered the basics such as passing/being passed, flag awareness, line consistency, etc. Lists of skills to be mastered by each group are specified in the student Passport (like a racer or pilot's logbook).

Group2 is a good place to start if you have a number of events, especially if those events were done over a period of several years and no experience passing in corners. The students are fast, aware and consistent enough that an advanced driver won't feel like he's stuck on the freeway, but it's not nearly as aggressive as 3. There are HPDE2-Solo students in some regions who are qualified to progress to HPDE3 but prefer to remain in 2 without an instructor required. You'll have an instructor to provide an evaluation for determining where you should be the next event, help you learn the NASA system, etc.

Until you know more, better to risk being one of the top drivers in HPDE2 than find yourself over your head in 3 without an instructor.

Edit: I mistakenly directed my comments to the person who started this thread with 10 track days. HPDE1 is the place to start with NASA unless you have more than a few track days under your belt. It also is not parade laps, same setup as HPDE2 except speeds will be lower for the first couple sessions due to people learning the line, situational awareness and basic techniques. The same advice as above applies to HPDE1 vs 2, if you're not sure then better and safer for all to be one of the more experienced in the group than to jump in over your head.

Group 4 is usually the instructors group. Better have your stuff together if you run in that group. That is also the group you run in for Comp Evaluation before getting your rookie license. If any of the instructors you are testing with feel you are not ready to race, you go back to HPDE 3 or have to test again.

Comp Eval takes a whole weekend and if you pass the on-track and written you get to start at the back of the pack for Sundays's race.

Part one. one session around the track at race speed staying in one lane for 10 laps and then 10 laps in the other not crossing the line. In other words, you are in the marbles at race speed a lot.

Part two. One session around the track at race speed side by side through all corners with an assigned racer. Halfway through switch sides. And believe me your partner is right on your door handle for every corner.

PArt three. One session where you leap frog your partner or he leaps you into all corners. He jumps into the inside of you just before the apex, or passes you on the outside in the corner so you cannot track out.

There is a written exam too.

Then there is the standing start for your first race.

Oh, by the way, 4 wheels off in any drill and you get to try again next weekend for another $375.

Took me two weekends and I finished my first race ahead of only the cars that DNF'd. Going through a turn and staying on the inside because there were two leading cars lapping me on the outside and then having a FF Cobra come up the middle, grab the apex and hard braking in the zone right in front of me with me having no place to go was interesting.

I have a lot to learn.

With 10 events under the belt, and you would say HPDE 2? Wow, I didn't have any events experience prior to my first HPDE, and I drove in HPDE 3.

You wouldn't last long in the VA region .

--chad

You wouldn't last long in the VA region .

--chad

My sentiments, exactly!