300ZX TT

Seth

I rarely see this cars on the track, but I can't understand the reason for this. Are they classed alongside M3s or C4 Vettes? I like the Z for its sleek design and powerful V-6 turbo engine. Your thoughts?

Fantastic street car but heavy/soft/under-tire'd/under-brake'd for serious trackwork (in stock form at least.) Expensive and complicated to maintain & modify as well. Although Ryan Hampton did well with a highly tweaked one at the GRM UTCC a few weeks ago (which was of course a NASA TT by different classing.)

Come to think of it, that's the only one I've seen on track in a while... but I don't think their classing has much to do with it, since we hardly ever see 'em in HPDE either. What a shame. They really are great cars!

Jon

A friend of mine used to run a 300ZX TT conversion. It was the NA 300ZX 2+2 model that they dropped the TT motor into. It ran in the TTC class because of all the mods that they had.

the only time I've seen one outside of HPDE was at the GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge... and whatever was done to it.. it was freakin fast

This car comes out to Redline Time Attacks and normally represents quite well. Ken, it may be the same car you saw, as I believe they entered it in the Challenge.

DJO_0179.JPG

that was it

iirc they were 3rd or 4th behind Tommy Archer, Danny Popp and I can't remember if Derek Whitis's Noble got them in the last session or not...

Last I checked, that car ran high 10's in the 1/4 mile. Anything with that much power is going to be fast.

Regardless, the 300ZX is an excellent track car. I've only driven a couple, and despite both being poorly setup, they were *really* fast.. in comparison, after having about 2,000 track miles in a 350Z, I think the 300ZX has more potential. They can make tons of power and since they're so heavy, it's easy to put power down. Handling is great, brakes are OK.. they're really good cars. Maintaining them is probably the biggest turn-off since they're pretty complicated.

625whp MR2

What's that, about 575whp more than yours has?

- Mark

625 - 119 = you do the math

(and it'll still be more than your Pinata has, so shut it )

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen only one a couple of times at an HPDE at Roebling a few years back. I was running a 944S - he was fast down the straight and wallowed in the corners. I think the driver swapped to a 350Z due to repair issues.

I do not even see them that often on the street around here anymore.