25 hour race coming up in Dec

Spec-944#70

Lets see if we can get a couple teams to do it!! A couple sets of tires and entry fee's, new set of brakes and proper check out. I'd like to give it a shot!!

Look at me and I havn't even finished my first 3 hour enduro yet!!!! Maybe I should wait till after this weekend to see how I feel.

Eric,..................you beat me to it. Maybe you should wait.

The 25 hour race has been on my mind for a few years, but more heavily since last Sept. or so. I read all the NASA reports on it, plus all the team reports on it. Interesting to see what failed on the different types of cars. I've been gathering info on enduros for some time now. To me, enduro's are the pinnacle of road racing. Indy ain't squat!

I'd love to be a part of a 25-hour race team. It would be a great challenge to manage the team, but I'd want to drive also. Can't do both at the same time and do either well.

I'd like to see a 3-car, 944 effort. 3 separate crews and crew chiefs, 1 team manager. Where's the sponsorship money? Where's the duct tape?

Hit it!

Accutaly I had dicussion with Bob Beck here in Az on Saturday about the 25 hrs. We were tossing the idea around about running it.

Figure it can be done, but we just need the cars mostly. Who wants to offer up 1, 2 or 3 cars to make it a happen? I say offer up since there is the potential for engine damage and probably need need for two rebuilds. 1 before the event and possibly one shortly after.

Also we would need a tech crew. Not just changing tires, but guys to diagnose and fix minor to semi major issues to keep the cars going. Sure you may not need it, but having that tech support can be HUGE if a minor problem comes up.

Nice thing is that if we start talking about it now we have a CHANCE at least of making it happen.

Sponsors will be help full, but if we have what 4-5 driver's per car each pitching in $500 well that is $2500. So we have strength in numbers.

Lets keep talking about this. Heck we might even be able to convince ourselves that this a good idea!

Tires are cheap, pump gas is cheap(relative to race gas). The reason I envisioned a 3 car team was that if one car can't continue, it becomes a spares car and the crew and all assets are shifted over to assist the 2 remaining cars. Almost all of us run the same offset wheel. Between all of us, we should have all the gear we need already. Rent an RV for sleeping?

• 1 month later...

Tim,

GOTORacing ran our first 25 hour last year. I was the crew chief. We are relative new comers to the sport but may have some do's and don't to share that would help you guys plan. we learned a lot during that race and would be happy to share with you. if you are interested, give me a call.

BTW, we won the 12 hour in E-3 and had a unsumountable lead at 23 1/2 hours when we crashed out. we ran a Honda CRX.

Steve

Excellent! I believe I read your race report?

Did your insurmountable lead in the 25 hour race disappear? In other words, it became surmountable?

I'd appreciate any shared experiences.

TC

Yeh, we were involved in an accident that took out our front suspension. That was part of the learning. we let that deter us from fixing it. it would have taken more than our 11 lap lead to fix and cost us the win but at least we would have finished the race!

At 23 1/2 hours we were cruising. We were taken out by a car that was hit by another. If we had passed that slower lap traffic we would have been out of harms way. Sometime the conservative approach is not correct!

Well to run a 25 hour race we need a few things.

First - A car

Second - A series of drivers

Thrid - Spare parts

Fourth - People who can fix the car in the pits.

Ahh... of course you need $$$ too!

Ok guys, I'm working on securing a 10' x 20' E Z UP this week and a Honda Generator, well, it's actually a Honda CRX chopped in half. You can see the hamsters on the belt drive!

No but seriously..........

I hope to get the generator and E Z Up.

Let's summarize:

Interested people thus far are,

Comeau

Sorensen

Marguglio

Paluch

Benbow

We'll need 4 or 5 quick drivers of about the same size for faster driver changes.

I have 2 Porsche technicians in mind.

I need a crew chief. I have someone in mind, plus a spare. We'll talk.

My new red car has 7 race weekends plus a 3-hour enduro on the engine. It might make a good candidate for the 25 hours. Then again, it's about time to rebuild the Black and White car.........

I still would like to have a team manager, other than myself! Fat chance!

I need a "pit Mom" to take care of the crew.

I need 2 RV's with room to bunk the crew.

I'm working on sponsorships now.

We should have all the equipment we need, plus spares. That is, tools fluids, spare parts, tires, wheels, lights, E Z Up's, all associated rain gear from tires to crew attire and windshield wipers.

Oh, and lots of coffee!

There is a 3-hour enduro at ButtonWillow in October. Good practice.

We can do this if we work together, pool our resources, and plug the right people into the right jobs.

I'll try to figure out the cost of a seat in this race asap.

Tim Comeau

COMEAU RACING ENTERPRISES, INC.

"Driving.....for the love of it!"

I don't know what your smoking Tim but that is the same weekend as POC BW and another racers Clinic! I'll be at that race! Sorry. Besides if I do the 25 hour I have a ride in a BMW!

I'm not smokin' nothin'. Check out your posts on the first page. The words,"I'm in" pretty much sum it up.................

But that's ok, you BMW traitor.

Does that same BMW team know you're a mole from Comeau Racing Enterprises with secret plans to crash their car into the overall leader during the 5th lap of your stint?

Did I say that out loud?...........Crap............

Yes, but that was before the "other" club came into the pic. Got a championship to run for there!! AS far as the Comeau Racing thing just keep the moving chicane out of my way. Traitor? Lets see pay to run a 944 or drive a BMW for free. Would anyone out there make a different choice than me?!!! Thought so.

TC your not implying you would rather pay to run your 944 than have a free ride in a faster car? I though it was about having fun! I can have as much fun in a BMW as I can a 944! Plus I don't have to put the wear on my car this time! Seriously if some said Tim I want you to co-drive our Cup Car you would tell them "No thanks! I'm driving my 944!!" If that happens let me know so I can get it on film.

Of course I would "upgrade" to a Porsche Cup car, but honor and pride keep me from racing anything but a Porsche.......Well, except that &%$#@ Porsche truck! YUCK!

Well, I secured the E Z UP, but the generator was already sold. Timing is everything. Got the word too late for the generator.

We're going to have to do the 25 hour pit stops using flashlights.