Good news! The #28 car is now in the SoCal Group!

Tim Comeau

Bill Addy is the new owner. Somebody buy Bill's 914!

I went through the car today. It's had some things done to it that aren't spec.

1. Painted intake. (to lower intake air temp for increased hp?)

2. relocated coil, headlight motor, to make air passage for a relocated heater core and associated plumbing behind the pass headlight.

I'm getting this stuff out in front of you guys now so everybody knows. Please don't give Bill a hard time about it. He just bought the car and I'm giving him some time to get it back into specs. I want him driving with us immediately and having the fun that I told him he would have.

The car also has headers with the longest primaries I've seen! I saw a receipt for bursch headers, but I'm not sure those were the ones I saw.

So please welcome Bill and his "new" car to our group!

Tim to my interpretation none of that is illeagal.

Painted intake is fine (or at least should be) as long as the paint is on the OUTSIDE of the intake. If it is it merely cosmetic and may infact send more heat into the engine. The paint could trap heat and that is NOT what you want to make power.

If it is painted on the inside flow path then yes it would be an issue as it could smooth the airflow inside the intake and thus have similar effect as polishing inthe inside.

That is MY interpretation of rules intent.

Also Relocated coil and headlight motors are not a problem. Why should they be. I don't run headlights or motors at all. It has never been an issue. Also a relocated heater core? Not illegal as far as I know.

Again MY interpretation of rules and intent.

Headers of course are FREE so you can do what ever you want to them.

Well, if relocating stuff is ok, I'll "relocate" my stock sized battery, spare tire, jack, etc. to a place that helps favorably change the polar moment of the car. See the danger? Stock parts in stock locations except where otherwise noted sounds like a good idea to me.

Painting the intake manifold is supposed to insulate the intake charge air from the hot engine compartment, thus keeping it cooler, thus raising hp.

You know what effect 10-20 degrees difference in ambient temp can make on hp.

I would love to rig my heater core as a second radiator. It's very effective.

How is relocating the headlight motor an issue? I don't have a headlight motor at all.

As for the coil. We are allow to use MSD type Ignition (I think?) plus it weighs what 1 lbs?

Batteries are heavy. Pretty obvious that you would move the to redistribute weight.

Painted intake. Come on it won't change are temps at all. At the rate the air flows in to the engine it woun't have any impact. The head transfer will tak far too long to heat the air by passing throught the manifold. Just won't happen. Even so at 10 min in the car the mainfold will heat anyway as the aluminum will absorb heat paint or not. Ok so it is painted it may take 10 laps vs 8 laps to get to stable temp. So what.

Tim,

That stuff are things not worry about. Once you start painting the INSIDE of the intake you can go off, because paint is often used on the aerospace industy to smooth the air flow path especialy on sand cast aluminium.

The rules say any type pugs or wires but do not mention coils or MSD. I agree that it won't make any difference but the rules would need to be changed because if it's not specifically stated in the rules then you can't do it.

Right Timmmeee?!! I'm all for changing things like this as I don't think it make a bit of difference along with all of the other stuff we've talked about in the past year.

Ok so I am wrong about coil issue.

Lets think about these rules and understand what is important. How is relocation of the coil going to do anything? Hmm it is not.

How is using the heater core as another radiator going to make the cars more hp? They are NOT. Is it going to help in the heat? Maybe.

There are things to gett fussy about and there are things that are not worth it to get fussy about. Sure relocating a battery is big deal since it is 10-40 lbs moving arond in the car. Heater core's themselves can be removed.

Even things like extrior painted intake have such a minor impact on performance it is laughable. Hmm extrior painted intake cools the incoming air by 0.1 Deg F so that means you have .02 more hp. La-de-freaking-da

Make sure guys are running the right wheels/tires. Legal springs, legal shocks, legal fuel injectors, legal cams, legal compression ratio, heck even legal ports on the head. That stuff is all MUCH more important than where the coil is or heater core or even if there is paint on the OUTSIDE of the intake.

I totally agree Joe!! It should be detailed in the rules though because something will eventually come up. Remember all the fuss about "Throttle Cams?" Same thing. If people are going to point out something like that and say I'm illegal (I'm not anymore) what's to stop at a super coil or whatever is the hot topic next week. I personally don't care either way I just know when that car gets a podium it'll be mentioned. (And that won't be fair)

Speaking of throttle cams.... I still have mine here in the garage.

Remind me why I can't have one on my car?????

In light of the thread above, I don't understand what the objection would be.

Simply it's not allowed in the rules. That's it! I know it makes no HP but thems the rules. I tried to reson it through but it didn't happen. And don't let Timmmee hear you talking like that or he'll get his wet noodle out!!

The throttle cam gives quicker throttle response, no more hp. You just get to full throttle sooner than the guy next to you in the rolling start formation. It gives you a smaller range of input when throttle steering the car(balancing it). I don't give a rats a$$ about that. What I care about is the perceived notion that it's a performance improvement and thus a "must have" item. There goes $30 dollars down the drain. Or you can pay your shop to modify your stock one, which still costs you in shop time. Either way, it's a waste of $$. That's why I discourage it.