Open v. Full face?

droptail

Riding a sport bike, I have always worn a full face. As I recall, it seems Nascar and some others wear open face. Is there a big need for full face in closed car (well actually truck) racing? I do HPDE 3 now.

Full face, every time. Even in an enclosed cockpit with a window net, stuff can and will get in the cab with you. The last time I went out on the track, I ended up with a tire marble bouncing off my helmet and down in to the floorboards.

Yup, full-face. You'll be hard pressed to find a NASCAR driver nowadays wearing an open face helmet.

Edited by Guest

I would only wear a full face, and not just for debris. In the event of a collision you will be thrown around the car. It doesn't matter how well your strapped down. If you ever have an opportunity to view a restraint test, even with racing belts, you will be amazed at how much your body gets whipped around. For me the protection is for my face and jaw. Kissing the steering wheel would be painfull.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching WRX pro ralley last night and many drivers had open face helmets, (possibly they want their faces on TV). I see the full face is popular with you guys.

Thanks

Having witnessed a deer go through a windshield and into an instructor's face, I wouldn't consider buying an open face helmet. The instructor chose his open face helmet that day because it was very hot and his student's car ('95 Cobra R) had a full cage. Shattered a lot of bones in his face, I heard he had medical issues related to that incident for a very long time.

That was the first event I attended with my new full face helmet. Until that incident I was considering going back to my open face because of the heat.

I regularly dodge deer at Summit point. Last Friday one of my former students hit one there with his Vette, luckily it was only a glancing blow on the front corner.

A loose wheel from another car would probably penetrate the winshield more easily than that small deer. While that might be very rare in an HPDE (I hope), it's not so unlikely in racing.

I witnessed a car losing it on some puked fluids at corner entry resulting in a loss of control at about 85mph. The went off track sideways, tripped up, and starting doing multiple in the air rolls. Besides a fractured wrist the driver also sustained some dental injuries and was bleeding from the mouth. He had an open face helmet. A full face would have prevented those facial/dental injuries. Why wear anything else?

Barry H.

Full face with visor always closed. At Beaverun a couple weeks ago, I had a rock hit my windshield at 110+mph on the front straight. An area two inches wide just exploded. When i got out of the race car, I was covered with thousands of tiny glass fragments. My visor was open about 1". I had glass in my helmet and the collar of my race suit. Had the visor been more open, I would had series eye problems, not to mention what may have happened had momentarily lost sight at 110 mph.

My buddy had a similar incident at California Speedway. While on the oval a bolt went right through his windshield. Luckily it was on the passenger side, but it did rattle around inside the car until the end of the session.

• 1 month later...
My buddy had a similar incident at California Speedway. While on the oval a bolt went right through his windshield. Luckily it was on the passenger side, but it did rattle around inside the car until the end of the session.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is fire. A closed helmet will help resist fire on your face and head.

• 2 weeks later...

the rules for HPDE also state you need eye protection, "safety glasses or helmet visor"

it's a good idea to go full-face. your head and face and eyes are worth the investment.

• 3 months later...
I was watching WRX pro ralley last night and many drivers had open face helmets, (possibly they want their faces on TV). I see the full face is popular with you guys.

Thanks

Rally guys sometimes opt for a open face because they are afraid of losing intercom and not being able to hear the co-driver.