Mustang Car Builder

oldmxer

I am currently working my way through the HPDE driving series with the intent of getting my competition license hopefully next year. I have a 2006 Mustang GT which I want to convert to a full race car probably starting in Performance Touring "C" and hopefully upward. Can anyone recommend a builder since I am mechanically handicapped when it comes to roll cages, safety gear and some of the other technical stuff.

Where are you?

What he said.

Most people remove the interior and bring the car to a cage builder. Expect to pay 2-4,000$ for a decent cage.

have seats and harnesses ready prior to installing a cage. Figure out how you would like to be positioned in the car and spec the cage and seat install around that.

It is important to read the rules prior to doing ANYTHING to your car. Formulate a plan based on the rules. Keep in mind that there are other series your car may be able to run in later, be mindful of those rules as well.

Best of luck.

We live in Iowa and drive in the Midwest region. I was hoping to find someone who has experience preparing a car who could walk us through some of these issues. We have been reviewing the points and have several questions such as, "If you did all of the free modifications wouldn't your car weight less than the curb weight and therefore cost you points?"

If you arent able to find someone locally, there are SO MANY people on web forums that have info about mustangs. Check out CornerCarvers.com for one and there are many many others too.

You could chain yourself to the computer for a week and read 20 hours a day and still not absorb all the info available online for mustangs.

Try going to all the events in your region, work on your car little by little and bring it to the track to sort it out.

Best of luck.

• 1 month later...
I am currently working my way through the HPDE driving series with the intent of getting my competition license hopefully next year. I have a 2006 Mustang GT which I want to convert to a full race car probably starting in Performance Touring "C" and hopefully upward. Can anyone recommend a builder since I am mechanically handicapped when it comes to roll cages, safety gear and some of the other technical stuff.
We live in Iowa and drive in the Midwest region. I was hoping to find someone who has experience preparing a car who could walk us through some of these issues. We have been reviewing the points and have several questions such as, "If you did all of the free modifications wouldn't your car weight less than the curb weight and therefore cost you points?"

Post these exact questions in the Midwest region Section. I personally don't know of anyone in Iowa who does this work, but I'm sure someone in our region does.

• 2 months later...

West Iowa, have you tried HPM Motorsports in Omaha? Ask for Jim, 402-731-7301.

If they build you a cage, let me know, might do the same.

Dave

KC

• 2 weeks later...