Is there any particular role cages u have to use in CMC?

93stang CMC

My guess is he is serious.

NOTE: You cannot build a CMC car based on the CCRs alone. You must throughly read the CMC rules before you do anything. Make a plan and build wisely.

For CMC you MUST have 6 point cage minimum made of 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing.

YOu are alowed 2 addtional points that go forward from the A pillar bars to the fire wall ONLY as protection from engine intrusion, not intended for stiffening.

All points of location to the body cannot be more than 100 square inches and may not be within X inches of suspension attachment points.

Cage rules are very clearly stated in the CMC rules available in the link above. All CMC cars must also meet the rules stated in the CCR as well.

An S&W cage kit is acceptable as long as it is installed within the limitations of the rules. DOM tubing is mandatory. NO ERW as allowed in NHRA.

If you are building a CMC car, feel free to contact me via email. I also encourage you to come to the next NASA event at VIR in February to check out how all the CMC cars have been built. ( I have no idea where you are located).

NOTE: You cannot build a CMC car based on the CCRs alone. You must throughly read the CMC rules before you do anything. Make a plan and build wisely.

Absolutely true.

All points of location to the body cannot be more than 100 square inches and may not be within X inches of suspension attachment points. Cage rules are very clearly stated in the CMC rules available in the link above.

I disagree that the cage rules, even the cage plate rule, are completely clear for CMC since you are not allowed chassis stiffening. Which is why you should consider...

If you are building a CMC car, feel free to contact me via email. I also encourage you to come to the next NASA event at VIR in February to check out how all the CMC cars have been built.

Take him up on the offer. I'm in the process of building a car in Texas and have already asked a lot of question of the regional and national guys. Get to an event with a camera and a notepad. This is my first W2W endeavor and everyone I have met involved with NASA has been fantastic to deal with.

383: you are correct to a point. No rule book tells you "...put square peg next to round hole and apply 2cc of acme stink goop #5..." That being said the CMC rules tell you what you are supposed to do, meaning have a cage of minimum standard, and also, make sure you are minimum x inches from a centerline through suspension points. It also says there arent to be any additional contacts beyond the 8 points allowed, meaning no welding to the a-pillars or rockers which would probably make the car safer....but oh well.

I agree 100% that anyone building a CMC car needs to look at several cars before building. We have a few in the series that didnt do this and they have been back tracking ever since.

93stang, where are you located?

im am located in new jersey n i realy want to get into cmc but i jus wanna make sure i know everything i need to before i go n build my car

Where in Jersey?

Wanting to get a plan together before building a car is a good thing.

May I ask how old you are? Your posts make it seem as though you might be 15...or so. ... no offense.

I can certainly answer what ever questions you have about your build. You will find alot of support with CMC.

Nah im 17 but i realy want to get into this class. But i want to be able to build my car n not worry about having any problems wen it time to bring it to the track n be inspected and raced

You will possibly find yourself in technical conversations. You should consider using regular english instead of "texting" as you run the risk of not being understood. The forum does have some shortcuts etc but texting will create some problems for you over time.

Nah im 17 but i realy want to get into this class. But i want to be able to build my car n not worry about having any problems wen it time to bring it to the track n be inspected and raced

93stang: 17, yeah ....15 ish. No offense. What Norfam said is correct. You make the best impression if you take yourself seriously. Think about it.

So. You want to build a CMC car and not have any problems? Then you have to rent a CMC car from someone reputable. Period. All race cars have problems, especially when they are new. The first year is rough.

If you are willing to accept that you are going to have problems....then continue to read.

The best thing that you can do is get out a pen and paper and give one of us a phone call and write down everything we tell you. This is going to include, what to do and what not to do. Take that info and start listing how much everything is going to cost. Figure out what the priorities are (cage, safety gear, etc) and with that total see if you can afford it and when. Keep in mind that at age 17 I doubt you have been through HPDE 1,2,3 yet right? ( If you have then you are WAY ahead of the rest of us!) You arent going to need to show up with a race car on day 1.

This is in fact a blessing.

Many of the well built CMC cars in our region started off in HPDE 1 as a stock street car. No cage. nothing. They slowly over 2 seasons were built into race cars and all the bugs were worked out. Once you get to comp school your car has to be reliable. There are many students that have not made it through comp school because the car failed. (some more than once)

One last thing. Make a note of what you have now and what you can afford to invest. How many events can you do next year? How much money can you spend? Look at the calendar and figure out what events you can come to. With that you can then plan the upgrades to the car little by little between events.

Kent Lydic is the CMC director for Mid-Atlantic. (Triagan on the forum) His contact info is online plus you can feel free to email me for my #. We will gladly give you the skinny on getting into CMC.

Look at the results from region to region. We have the BIGGEST CMC group of any region close to you. Come check us out. You'll either love us or run scared.

Best of luck.

OK heres the deal the cost is no bug thing my father owns a race shop n builds up to 7 second drag cars. And as for all the safety stuff i already have it. N i have the shell and motor already to start building my car i jus need to kno wat style cage to build as in like a nascar or scca cage. And as for the amount for racing i am planning on doing is as much as i can prob most or every northeast event and some mid-atlantic events i am goin to cars because of i had to many injuries in motocross were i was an amatuer pro. So we are used to the cost of racing. And if you got any pics of your car and wat the cage looks like or any info u could help me with it would be greatly valued

thank you 93stang

basic specs of required cage are listed in the NASA CCRs.

here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

A cage kit from S&W is fine as long as it is of 1.75x.120 DOM as stated above. I would recommend using an A-Pillar runner over the Halo design, but that is personal preference. Nascar bars are not required but also recommended. I can share links to pics of cages. Again, email me and I will be glad to share info.

Note: As of 2007 there are NO cmc cars running in the NE. since you need to get time in HPDE under your belt, drive as many tracks as you can get to, but by all means come to as many Mid-Atlantic events as you can to check out a field of 15-20 CMC cars. Our first two dates at VIR are not to be missed. We have a great time all weekend.

Ok thank you for that info but what exactly is this HPDE thing is it a beginers course or something because i realy havnt bein able to read all the rules of the CMC and The CCR yet

HPDE is where everyone needs to start on the road to a comp license if that is your goal. Unless you already posses an SCCA or similarly recognized road racing license, you will need to go through the HPDE program. Some drivers advance quickly, others take their time and absorb as much as they can at each level. NASA's HPDE program is developing great drivers. You must first reach a level where driving at speed is subconscious, then you can start to work on 'race craft'. This is like a game of chess, mental strength comes into play, so physical interaction has to be second nature.

More info on the HPDE program is here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

Lots of things to read. Have you joined NASA yet? Where are you in Jersey? North? South? Central? NASA NE has 2 more events. I will be at the Nov 8 event at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. Feel free to come up and check out my car and take as many pics as you like.

Yea i want the comp. liecne to compete asap. And if i can i will try and make that race at lime rock but it is not a sure thing. And as for where in NJ im in south jersey. IF you have any photos of your car now If you could email them to me That would be greatl. my email is [email protected]

What is your name btw?

If you "want the comp. liecne to compete asap" then you need to sign up for HPDE 1 at VIR in Febraury. None of the tracks in the north will be thawed yet. This will get you an early start.

Based on your performance in HPDE 1, your upward progress can be better established. When will you be 18? You'll need a parent or guardian to participate if you are under 18.

Get your car ready for HPDE 1 and come prepared to drive. We can discuss details via phone/email.

And FWIW, the NE event at Lime Rock Park is NOT a racing event. It is only an HPDE. I will be bringing the race car.

"racing" has a qualifying session, a starting grid, a green flag, a checkered flag, timing and scoring, post tech, impound, points and trophies.

You've got mail.