What would an SCCA IT-7 car class as in NASA?

FlyingDog

I know somebody who has not raced his IT-7 car in a year or two. Since I know the car somewhat and I'm sure the current owner and crew chief would help out, I think would be preferable to building my own (plus the potential cost difference).

It's a 1983 RX-7 which has been run in SCCA in the southeast in IT-7 for 15 or so years. It has a stock engine, straight exhaust, stock tranny, stock diff, camber plates and I think Koni sports, full cage, and quick fill fuel cell.

It looks like PTG would be the base class. I don't know enough details to see how high it would move from there. It sounds like I probably can't get the car anyway.

I have been considering a Mustang as an option. I could always rent it out once I build the 928. The $3000 for the suspension I want on the 928 would go a long way towards building a Fox body.

I know somebody who has not raced his IT-7 car in a year or two. Since I know the car somewhat and I'm sure the current owner and crew chief would help out, I think would be preferable to building my own (plus the potential cost difference).

It's a 1983 RX-7 which has been run in SCCA in the southeast in IT-7 for 15 or so years. It has a stock engine, straight exhaust, stock tranny, stock diff, camber plates and I think Koni sports, full cage, and quick fill fuel cell.

My Pro7 car fits in PTF and TTF as it sits.

Gian, Thank you for the info. If you had to choose between your Mustang and RX-7 which would you pick?

Colin, Mustangs are stupid cheap but my 928 is stupid fast and I already have it.

fair enough, and I tell people all the time to drive what you have....unless its something completely stupid.

Besides....I bet my Mustang is faster than your 928....around summit point.

Same R-compounds and same driver it's probably close now. New suspension (mine is 23 years old) and it wouldn't be close. The 928 has 50-100rwhp on your Mustang and is probably 3250lbs+driver.

The only 928 I know of to run Summit Point did 1:22.8 on the old surface, but his 550rwhp/505rwtq was spinning the Hoosier 315s up the hill from 9 to 10. I think he would have easily broken into the 1:20.x range if he could get the back end to hook up.

crap. thats fast.

I guess its a good thing I didnt say which mustang !

You know CMC 81, 18 isnt done, then there is the 300hp 3800 pound tank, but you havnt seen the 2900 pound 400hp beast ! Similar cars are in the 1:20 and 1:21 range. I have yet to get it on track.

Dont get me wrong. I honestly look forward to being on track with you and not being able to keep up. That will be fun.