Cheapo camber plates

cullen winter

One of the top SCCA racers in AZ uses these and I just bought a pair that I am going to put on next weekend. I'll let you know if I have any issues with them.

Thanks guys, they sure are a lot less $$ than anything else I've seen. I'll stick around for more feedback, as I'm still rebuilding the engine and steering rack.

The only concern I have is the thickness of the plate. Ive seen much thicker plates get bent by going off track. A friend of mine bent a GC plate in his GTI that was a good 1/2" thick.

I have run the flat paragon camber plates. These are the same as the Ground control flat plates. I have never seen one bend or break. This is not to mean they would never bend or break, but I have not seen it or heard of it on a 944 spec car with ANY camberplate.

Personally I have no experinece with the ones posted.

if anyone does get these please report what you find. my experiences with ebay aluminum has not been good. (spacers snapping in half )

The front's installed and I'm trying to get the alignment done on that. Still have the back to do.

Are you going to get the back done before thanksgiving?

The only concern I have is the thickness of the plate. Ive seen much thicker plates get bent by going off track. A friend of mine bent a GC plate in his GTI that was a good 1/2" thick.

Considering that you can buy almost three sets of these for the price of one set of GC's, I thought it was worth taking a chance to see how they do. By the way, I just checked and the seller of this item does not have any 944 plates currently listed.

Larry, good to hear things are coming along. Hope we see you at the Thanksgiving event.

Considering that you can buy almost three sets of these for the price of one set of GC's, I thought it was worth taking a chance to see how they do.

You can still get the older GC plates for $300. Im willing to pay $120 more to have a little peace of mind.

Considering that you can buy almost three sets of these for the price of one set of GC's, I thought it was worth taking a chance to see how they do.

You can still get the older GC plates for $300. Im willing to pay $120 more to have a little peace of mind.

You are probably right but I'm willing to give them a try for this price, so wish me luck. I wouldn't be trying them if I didn't know a highly experienced racer who is using them successfully. I wish I had the budget to afford peace of mind for everything I put in the car!

Steve,

I think you will be fine. These spec cars are suprisingly easy on parts (driver error not withstanding). I think it has to do with the overall lightweight , low hp, softish suspension and small and not that sticky tires.

These factors tend to keep the loads down in the suspension parts maximizing their usefull life. That is not to say things can't break, but it seems the exception rather than the rule. If I look back over the years of running and consider the number of non engine related failures their are very few. That really is amazing considering most cars are running around on very old stock parts.

Point is I'd bet you would be just fine and would be just fine with those.

Thanks for the encouragement Joe. Since I'll probably come running to you for help if they break, .

Don't worry I have plenty of duct tape and zip ties.

You are probably right but I'm willing to give them a try for this price, so wish me luck. I wouldn't be trying them if I didn't know a highly experienced racer who is using them successfully. I wish I had the budget to afford peace of mind for everything I put in the car!

Good luck!! Be sure to let us know how they hold up.

I will be installing a set of these on our 25 hours of Thunderhill car to test.

Our 25 hour car is a rolling lab with lots of sensors connected to our data acquisition system.

The built quality of these camber plates looks good and the price is more in line relative to the cost of our cars.

We'll know after the 25 hours if these camber plates will hold up!

• 2 months later...
Thought I'd bump this back up. Any feedback on those plates yet ? thanks

Well the quick feedback is that they lasted 25 hrs without failing or causing problems. That right there is a good sign.

Thought I'd bump this back up. Any feedback on those plates yet ? thanks

Hi Cullen,

Apologies if you were waiting for this.

The postmortem on the 25 Hours car was put on the back burner since we have off-season projects with our primary race cars and getting new NorCal 944-Spec cars and racers get ready.

I'll bump this particular project back to the top and check for wear/tear of the camber plates and write a full report.

Here's a quick report:

1. They survive the 25 Hours of Thunderhill without problems.

2. They reduce spring travel about a 1"-1.5", the older style GC camber plate design had the same problem and reduce spring travel the same way. We cut the yellow bump rubber stops from the coil-over kit in half.

12.jpg

3. Will check for wear/tear on the plate to spherical bushing when we take it apart.

13.jpg

4. The large center nut is recessed. I only mention this because from the top you can only see the hex nut and not the bottom nut extension and it doesn't look like there is enough threads to engage the nut. From this picture you can see more than 2/3 thread engagement (the color difference between the loctite threads and the threads at the top).

14.jpg