Cyro Treating recomendation's please

crazy_ugly_coyote

Gonna be completely rebuilding an engine and thinking about having it cyro treated. Are there any arguments not to? And who are some good shop's to send me stuff out to?

Cryo treating "does work", but not to the degree that you should spend your last dollar on it. If you're done spending on a big power AIX motor, and want to spend the budget surplus on something, go for it. If you, like pretty much everyone, have to make every dollar count, it would probably be best spent elsewhere.

I've read things, but to be quite honest I don't directly know anyone who's done it, and I know people with 1200hp engines.

What are you putting together?

I have heard alot of positives about cryo treating for Rotors. I have not heard about this used for motors, but it makes sense.

While looking into spending big money on little enhancements, be sure to consider coatings for internal components. There is a national coating company that has a coating that sheds oil and others that resist heat. A rep from the company explained many of the advantages for race engines.

I'm still trying to stay in fresh rubber and brakes....who has money for space age coatings and treatments?

I've never heard anything bad about cryo treatments. I've heard that the best places for improvement are in old technology components like iron rotors, iron rings and iron apex seals. Machined billet high end alloy parts are less likely to see an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy cryo treated his tranny after learning it won't hold much more than 160ft-lbs at the wheels and going through two trannys. He cryo treated it and has been running ~250wtq for awhile now with no problems.

Also after having seen a friends lightened flywheel shoot peices through the tranny, the side of the motor, and out the hood.... we decieded it'd be a good idea to cyro treat our flywheels.