Watts Link/5-Link/Torque Arm? What to do???

Rook

Being in the progressive concept phase of my new build I've run into a problem. See, there aren't too many products available for the Mustang IRS so race-prepping one isn't too options-ridden. The Live Axle on this 95 GT is a totally different story.

To choose from are Steeda's 5-Link rear, Max Motorsports' Panhard/Torque arm setup, and Griggs Racing's Watts Linkage. Is either better than the next? Differences?

Also, is it worth the effort to go with an SLA front setup? Or is that one of those things that's only worth it on a dedicated race car?

Being in the progressive concept phase of my new build I've run into a problem. See, there aren't too many products available for the Mustang IRS so race-prepping one isn't too options-ridden. The Live Axle on this 95 GT is a totally different story.

To choose from are Steeda's 5-Link rear, Max Motorsports' Panhard/Torque arm setup, and Griggs Racing's Watts Linkage. Is either better than the next? Differences?

Also, is it worth the effort to go with an SLA front setup? Or is that one of those things that's only worth it on a dedicated race car?

Personally, I'd just go with some 275s on 17x9" wheels (or bigger), a stiffer set of sway bars, springs, and shocks.

My question is this: What exactly are you trying to change? IMHO, you're already better off that the live axle cars. People buy panhard bars and other such crap in an effort to make their live axle do what the IRS already does.

So, I submit that there isn't a market for CobraIRS partsbecause there isn't a need for them. The biggest knock against the OE subframe et al is that ford had to design it to be a bolt-up to the car (i.e. fit a 1979 Fairmont), so they couldn't go nuts with the design and the arms are a bit short. To adress that, there would need to be an entirely new subframe and rear suspension made, as well as cutting into the car. Fortunately for me, Ford developed mine with the car as one project. Mid-size North America Project #12, to be exact, AKA MN12. Your rear end is a progression of mine, but you get upper a arms.

Changes were made for the 2003 model, but I'm not sure what exactly. I believe they were addressing problems with the torque from the new motor snapping things.

MN12?
The MN12 (Mid-size North America Project #12) was a two-door car platform formerly used by the Ford Motor Company from 1989 to 1997 for the Ford Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar.

A variant of this platform, known as the FN10, was used for the Lincoln Mark VIII from 1993 to 1998. Each car based on this platform had a front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with an independent rear suspension.

The front suspension consists of upper and lower control arms with coilover struts. Brakes were a vented rotor / single-piston caliper in front, with Sport model Thunderbirds and some V8 XR7s receiving 11.5" rotors. Rears were drum with available discs on all trim models (Discs standard for Sport, SC, XR7 and all FN10s). The rear suspension consisted of upper and lower control arms with coil spring and shock. Varying sway bar diameters were used among the different models of Cougar and Thunderbird. All MN12 cars shipped from the factory with a 5 x 4.25" (5x108mm) lugnut bolt pattern.

MN12 cars had a 113" wheelbase and were available with many engine options:

3.8 V6 (all base models, 89-97)

3.8 V6 Supercharged via Eaton M90 (89-95 Super coupes, 89-90 XR7s)

5.0 H.O. V8 (91-93 Thunderbird LX and sport, and Cougar XR7)

4.6 SOHC V8 (94-97 Thunderbird LX and Cougar XR7)

Available transmissions were:

AOD (with all 3.8 and 5.0 engines, option for supercharged 3.

4R70W (Only on 4.6 engines)

M5R2 5speed (Only available for 3.8 Supercharged)

FN10 Lincolns all received 4.6 DOHC engines and 4R70W transmissions

I can get allot more detailed if you want.

Not really sure what I want to change just yet, more curious about what the above mentioned modifications do. Mind you, while I physically have an IRS, it's not bolted up to the 95GT. Though New Edges and early SN-95's (Sporty North American Concept #95 ) share the same basic chassis, there'd still be fabrication, cutting and welding, and rerouting of brake lines required to get an 04 Cobra's IRS under a 95 GT.

If I'm not mistaken, changes to the IRS from 99-01 to 03/04 Terminator models mostly involved strengthening of the IRS cross-member.

Though New Edges and early SN-95's (Sporty North American Concept #95 ) share the same basic chassis, there'd still be fabrication, cutting and welding, and rerouting of brake lines required to get an 04 Cobra's IRS under a 95 GT.

If I'm not mistaken, changes to the IRS from 99-01 to 03/04 Terminator models mostly involved strengthening of the IRS cross-member.

The IRS is a very simple install into an SN-95 chassis. Only minor brake line work, plus bolt or weld upper rear subframe mount to the frame. Otherwise it bolts right up.

Contact Maximum Motorsports http://www.maximummotorsports.com/ for more info on the mods needed for the IRS.

As far as the torque arm, 5 link, IRS debate, it depends on who you ask. They each have there benifits. You can do several searches at this web site for some answers http://www.corner-carvers.com/

• 2 months later...

I live in Oshkosh and their is a guy that builds custom Watts-links for Mustangs.

http://www.fays2.net/index.html

He has been racing Mustangs since 1974, I met him while I was looking for a place to rent. He saw my truck parked out front and started to ask questions. He can build one for my truck but I run Calvert tractions bars in the rear.