EXTREMELY NEW....

shakin_bakin

Hello,

I am currently Overseas and should be coming back to the states in about a year and a half.

I am New to NASA racing and this whole enviroment of racing as i grew up around dirt tracks.

I have a 99 Mustang GT. With heads, cams, intake, thats the big stuff...

Well i was wondering is any of the categories that NASA has which is many which one can i fit into and be compettive? Would i actually be able to make it into the Camaro Mustang one? I dont want to make my car full blown race car and gut the interrior and put in a roll cage... But i would like to put in a K-member and such... i can gut the interrior seats for a weekend of racing thats for sure

basically i just need to know which category will my car be ok in... as the close to stock category forgot which one it was i am past the max HP/Torq specs already. and also i believe for the camaro mustang... or maybe i was just reading shit wrong..

thanks for your help.

Shakin,

With the mods you have CMC is out

American Iron is very serious as is CMC

Both classes take a dedicated race car

You might want to try Time Trial to start , it's very competetive

You might want to try Time Trial to start , it's very competetive

I'll second that, it seems to be a better evironment for rookies. I'm hoping to be there in 2009, AI is just too expensive right now. (yeah, I'm that poor ) Edited by Guest

You must crawl before you can walk. You will not ab able to jump straight into Wheel to wheel racing. You will have to go through the HPDE system first which is non timed and non competitive.

It will likely take you at least a season of doing many events to graduate to Time trials. And if you don't want to cage your car you really shouldn't do anything except for HPDE

A good point that we posters in this thread took for granted: You're not just going to "go racin". Fortunately, the ladder is in place, one can't get around climbing it, so he would have eventually figured it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Even for a few clubs that are very flexible with what experience you need to have before racing, it's much more productive for you to learn this in NASA's HPDE program. Take your time and focus on your driving / racing abilities.

Many of the people I've seen rush onto wheel-to-wheel racing are either not very safe, or just darn slow. Normally you get much more seat time (and instruction!!!) in HPDEs.

.... I dont want to make my car full blown race car and gut the interrior and put in a roll cage...

If you dont wish to build a race car, then you dont have to worry if it fits in a class or not. simple.

Good advice above. Work through the HPDE program and get into TT. THis is all accomplished using a street car.

As for whether your car would fit into CMC, it certainly would with a stock motor. You will also need to remove the interior and install a 6 point cage at minimum, amongst many other safety items. Check out the rules for CMC and AI. Its good to read about class limitations if you are interested in racing.