Wheel Weight vs Wheel Width

John A

Hello All

I was wondering how much would everyone sacrifice wheel weight for width? Due to a very limited budget (I'm sure many of you can relate), I need to choose between a 17x7 wheel at 15-16 lbs and a 17x8 wheel at 17-18 lbs. Thoughts?

-John

It depends. What are you driving? The tradeoff is more lateral grip (wider, heaver) versus acceleration/braking/unsprung weight (narrower, lighter). In a car with plenty of torque, I wouldn't worry about the extra weight too much. As long as the suspension is such that the additional unsprung weight won't be a handling issue.

OK, so why are you going for 17's? Can't you fit a smaller rim over the brakes? Especially if budget's a concern - smaller rim will mean smaller tires, less cost every time you re-up, not to mention reduced rolling resistance = possible higher straightline speed. I'd also have trouble believing that the car in that config will make enough power to need an 8" rim. OTOH, if you plan to upgrade power output substantially, I could understand only wanting to buy rims once...

Stock wheels are 17's. With that, I'd like to use 17's to keep the gearing in line and to clear the brakes. I will be upping the power eventually but right now its just making it safe and reliable.

John

Ah, OK, then yes, I'd stick with 17's...

Of course, you could go Gonzo and get 3-piece BBS rims, then change out the halves later for more width!

• 2 years later...

If you can fit more than a 225 tire under the car, then go far either 7.5 or 8in wide rims, and you don't even need the 8's unless you can fit 255's. I'm assuming that you car is a b13 right? If so, 17's look like your on dubs, 16's look right, though. woops, I was wrong, 17's look good on your car, but otherwise, everything else applies.