Wheel Width vs Wheel Weight

John A

Hello All

I was wondering how much would everyone sacrifice wheel weight for width? Due to a very limited budget (I'm sure many of you can relate), I need to choose between a 17x7 wheel at 15-16 lbs and a 17x8 wheel at 17-18 lbs. Thoughts?

-John

I think the Honda Challenge rules stipulate wheel width of no more than 7"

Dave R

HPDE2

Red Civic VX hatch #192

This isn't necessarily for the HC. The point of the question is at what point will wheel weight need to be sacrificed for wheel width.

John

what about rotating mass?

There was a GRM article that studied a drag race between 2 cars, of the same model. One was stock. One had wheels that were 10lbs lighter each than stock. The conclusion was, that after a mile long straight, the car with the light wheels was ahead by 1.5 car lengths. Then they took 100lbs out of the stock one, and the one with the light wheels still won, but barely.

The conclusion was that for accelaration alone, removing weight from the wheels was much more effective than removing it from anywhere else. I guess it could have been a flawed test, but it makes sense to me.

Some crank pulley ad claimed that removing 10% of the crank pulleys mass added 1hp. whether or not it is a true figure, people and physics agree on the concept of rotating mass on the drivetrain eating HP. Wheels are on the drivetrain.

I read that article as well. That is why I'm undecided between extra grip/rotating mass vs less grip/less rotating mass. I'm leaning towards extra grip however.

John

That article was just for drag racing.

Wider rim will put more rubber on the ground and you would be able to corner faster. and keep more momentum and you would need to race 1 mile just to gain 1.5 carlenghts goin stratight. I would go for wider wheel as i allready have on my race car. ANd where do you buy wheels that are 10lbs lighter than the one you allready have? Thats a lot of weight to lose on a rim. Rim that light is like 250-300 bucks each. 11-12lbs rim. So just get the 17x8 rim. 2lbs wont hurt much

Hello All

I was wondering how much would everyone sacrifice wheel weight for width? Due to a very limited budget (I'm sure many of you can relate), I need to choose between a 17x7 wheel at 15-16 lbs and a 17x8 wheel at 17-18 lbs. Thoughts?

-John

If you're talking less than 2lbs. difference per wheel and gaining a wider footprint, then I'd go with a wider wheel. I think a wider wheel would be more beneficial at tracks like Sears Pt., and Buttonwillow. Whereas, a lighter wheel would probably help more at Willow Springs and T-hill.

Don't you race a Sentra?

I have a similar situation

S2000 w/ 16x8 rears = ~35lbs with 245/45/16 hoosier

S2000 w/ 18*10 rear = ~50lbs with 285/35/18 hoosier

both fit under the fenders due to difference in offsets, but which is the better choice? It sure *seems* dumb to waste 15lbs per side of rotating mass, but it certainly should get around the turns better.

I found a set of used 18's in the perfect offsets for $1k....but I am not sure I would use them.....

• 4 weeks later...
I have a similar situation

S2000 w/ 16x8 rears = ~35lbs with 245/45/16 hoosier

S2000 w/ 18*10 rear = ~50lbs with 285/35/18 hoosier

both fit under the fenders due to difference in offsets, but which is the better choice? It sure *seems* dumb to waste 15lbs per side of rotating mass, but it certainly should get around the turns better.

I found a set of used 18's in the perfect offsets for $1k....but I am not sure I would use them.....

If you lighten the s2000, you shouldn't need to run a 285 tire in the rear. Some do so I guess it's just driver perference. Popular rear wheels are the ce28n's 17x9 in 63 offset where a 275 fits fine.