Need Help ASAP!!

Simon Tibbett

Hey,

Ok I am signed up for the HPDE at Road Atlanta June 19th. My car is a 1989 Honda Civic hatchback with a 6-point Kirk Racing cage. For the driver, I have a Paget (Kirkey styled) race seat, and right now a Sabelt 4 point harness. The passenger side is totally stock. My concern is this, I dont want to get to RA and no instructor will ride with me, so I am trying to figure out all I need to do. First, I DO need a seat back brace correct? What about the passenger? The passenger seat can be against the roll cage if reclined slightly, is that ok? My next question is about the seats and harness, would I be ok just to use my stock belts, and the passenger as well? Or do I have to have a harness for both people? Basically I want to keep the passenger safe, and me safe as well and have no problems passing tech, could I weld the passenger seat at a position so it wont recline or anything to prevent the reclining mechanism failing? Thanks!

Simon

Hey,

For restraints could I use the stock belts? Why does it all have to be the same? Why cant I just like add a harness for the passenger and I am done?

Simon

OK, first off, check with the Regional Director or Instructor Liaison of the NASA Region you are running with. Phone numbers for the Southeast Region are all here: http://www.nasa-southeast.com/aboutus.shtml

Second - read the CCR, it is available for free download at http://www.nasaproracing.com ...

You are right to ask these questions - street cars that have race modifications done to them are frequently in violation of HPDE rules.

All that said, NOWHERE in the NASA CCR does it require equal restraints/seats. Many clubs DO mandate this but NASA does not.

As far as the harnesses you are FAR better off with the stockers than a 4-point. The 4-point is absolutely illegal at NASA events. Get yourself a 5- or 6-point and mount it per the rules.

Any seat that lacks an FIA Homologation needs a back brace. Too, when you put in a cage then you have to brace ANY non-FIA seat - including stock ones - to keep them from folding back under the cage and breaking the passengers neck.

Again, call the Region you are running with and clarify that they are or are not running rules beyond those in the CCR.

And get the car squared ASAP, you need to focus on your driving at the event!

Edited by Guest

Hey,

Ok thanks for your reply, but now my car cant be driven at the event anyway because of a tiny bit of oil smoke, not oil dripping just smoke as it burns oil

Hey,

Ok I can use a SSC Neon that has a SCCA logbook. The car has a cage, race seat, 5 point harness, and seat back brace. The passenger is stock except for the 5 point harness, could I possibly find someone to ride with me for this setup? Also I have previous karting experience does that play a roll in anything? I am 16 so karting is still very fresh

• Members

Hello,

We value our instructors, they are a important asset to our program and we NEVER want to put them in a position where they might be in danger. As an instructor myself I know that when I am uncomfortable with a car's prep then I cannot concentrate on teaching the key skills that make the driver faster.

With that in mind, our focus in NASA-SE is driving fast, having fun and above all doing it SAFELY.

I would like to state the policy for NASA-SE when it comes to HPDE 1&2 car prep:

Preferred setup:

Stock car, stock belts, stock seats

Alternate setup:

Race seats, seat back braces, both seats and 5 or 6 point harnesses for each seat

Convertibles

Rollbar rollover protection for driver AND passenger.

When it comes to fluids, loss or smoking our corner workers and staff will always error on the side of caution, so any vehicle that smokes will be regularly black flagged to check for the source of the smoke.

I hope this clears things up, see you at the track!

Can a driver with the NASA with a comp. liscence be an instructor for me? Also you mean seat back brace on both seats even if one is stock? Thanks!

• Members

Simon,

I think you are missing the key point:

BOTH SEATS AND BELTS HAVE TO BE THE SAME

let me repeat that in case you didn't understand

BOTH SEATS AND BELTS HAVE TO BE THE SAME

As far as instructors are concerned, if he/she isn't racing and has instructed for NASA before or has references from a comparable organization where he/she has instructed then he/she should contact Bill Johnston, our chief instructor, provide him with those references and request you as a student.

Why don't you borrow one of your parent's cars?

I didnt ask about seats I know that alreay I said seat back brace. Can you please explain why they have to be the EXACT same, you are saying I could not have a Kirkey and Sparco and a RCI harness and Simpson?

Same = Equivalent.

If your instructor has an OEM seat, so should you.

If you have a 5/6 point race harness and a seat back brace, so should he.

Simon

I instruct and race. I'm the guy who told you to stop by and say hi on IT.com. As an instructor, I don't like looking over at a driver in a race seat and 5 point harness while I'm sitting in a stock seat and stock seatbelt. You should show just as much concern for your instructor as you do yourself.

An instructor with a comp license will be no more benefit to you than one without a comp license. I don't instruct on the race line in HPDE and an HPDE student shouldn't be learning the race line. NASA instructors are top notch, and your future racing career will benefit greatly from the HPDE experience.

See you at the track,

Mark Barr

GTS Challenge Director

http://www.gtschallenge.com

1989 BMW 325is #22 GTS2

Hey,

I understand it all now. I think I am using a Honda Civic with equal equipment, and all that so I dont have to even have to worry about it. See you all this weekend!

Simon