New Added Website - Driver's Best Times

944-Spec#94

Guys I added a new page to my website that complies each driver's best lap at each track they have raced at. Best laps come from the same pool that track records are set. Namely the best RACE Lap in NASA 944-spec race.

Here is the link

http://members.rennlist.com/m758/DriversBest.htm

This a database that can be used for a "most improved" driver award at each event. Say you best at Willow was a 1:40 this time around, but your last race at willow got you a 1:45 then 5 sec gain is huge can be rewarded.

BTW... all of this was compiled from "posted race results" so there is no NEW info here, just organized differently.

So now we have public proof on how badly I suck!! Got to get some more seat time!!! And find a few HP I better get off my butt and get the car setup. Lets see NOS, Turbo, Slicks. Can you guys think of anything else I'd need? Besides balls!!

Eric,

you need to be able to asses your time versus others (on the day) and realize that means you can carry WAY more speed through turns. I.e. and I don't mean this as an insult, but as a learning tool. You car obviously handles well (hp aside). So, when guys are running 12-15 seconds a lap faster than you in session 1, you have to realize that you can go a lot faster through every corner and just trust your car and do it. I also find it's beneficial to follow someone out as soon as possible. I do everything to keep up with them on their warm up lap. Because is they can do it, I can do it. It's a great way to get fast quickly, follow another and just use there braking and turning points.

Good Luck with it.

P.Dilly.

Edit : Hang on I just realized, your sand bagging so you get get freebies for biggest improvement!

Just a couple words.

Since these represent best race laps they are what they are.

For example. AMP was quite slick and slow in September of 2003. Alot of guys ran AMP for ther first and only times. So all their times look really SLOW.

Heck Tim was at 2:00 an track record is now 1:52! Hmm so is Tim 8 seconds off the pace at AMP. No not quite. I could only run a 1:57 that day and it was Tim's First trip there. He came back in January when the track and conditions were ideal. I set a 1:52 and Tim.... No Time... Missed race due to gearbox problems. Made Sunday's racing, but we split the track for sunday so Tim's best AMP is a little off. That said they do provide basis for most improved.

No on to Eric...

Dylan is right that the speed of these care comes from the speed you can achieve in the corners. I have blow by folks on straights because I got a run through the corners. So yes corner speed is huge. That said I still can't figure how you can run 400 front springs with stock rear torsion bars. My car would understeer like a bus. Anyway you have made some speed gains that are not shown on my chart. Don't worry your speed will come. Alot racing is mental. It is how fast do it THINK I can go around turn 1 turn 2 etc. So yes following folks helps alot, but becarefull as this can get you in trouble. Just becasue the guy front makes it does NOT mean you can.

I remember a situation like this at Willow.

Raicing vs Tim we were in a pretty goo dice. I'd have the edge from Turn 5 he'd gain from turn 9. Anyway I was trying to hold in off in 1 and went really deep. Had the proper line, but tried alot of speed. Well I make it through corner, but just barely. The car was just over my control limit and I did not want to try that again lest I end up in the dirt. Tim was on may A$$. Next lap I see Tim had gotten a nice run from 9 and went deep on a pass into 1. I looked back and said "There is NO way he is going to make it as he is going faster than was and I barely made it!" So I gave him room and he spun. Luckily I did give him room as I just had enough to aviod his spin. Seems to me that my earlier deep drive set the bar for where Tim through I could go and therefore tired just a bit more than that. Well what hid did not know was that there was no more.

So you just might be following the guy in front and his car may appear stable and collect. Inside the driver may have had a "moment" and been lucky to survive. You attempt to do the same and whamo... Not so lucky

Joe is right when talking about the limit. I guess I should have emphasized my line "I do everything to keep up with them on their warm up lap.". I still do what "I'm comfortable with" but, following them for that first lap or two, helps to get a good leap frog to going faster. Sorry for any confusion.

P.Dilly.

You said with stock torsions and 400# fronts my car would understeer like a pig???? What have I been saying this last year. My front end pushes!!!! So the big question is now do I go 28 or 30mm????? I got down to 2:07 at CSW and 1:39's at WS so I know I can do it but it seems now I need to get some susp work done!! Joe if you cut holes in the rear fenders can you slide out the old bars and install new ones or do you have to drop the whole susp? People have said the hole you can make adjustments and it seems like the easier way to go.

I know you guys have said you don't understand how RW can do the car with stock torsion but you never mentioned understeer till now. I think I need to do some work and soon.

Eric,

Yes you must drop the rear suspension. It is not that bad a job if you can re-index right the first time.

Here is my Procedure. Works great on both times i did mine.

http://members.rennlist.com/m758/TbarReindex.htm

I started with 250 lbs springs front and then installed 28 MM t-bars.

I then went to 350 lbs front springs and while I could get an ok balance with a full stiff welt sway bar. I opted for 30 mm rear t-bars to get balance the right way.

So my advice is for 30 mm rear bars and level ride height (front to rear)

Eric, You can't make it to the PCA TT in June? Either day? I'd drive your car on the big track. I'd sure like to feel what the 400 lb front/ stock rear torsion bar set up feels like. You could try my 350 lb/ 30mm rear bar set up in the # 22 car. I'd like to swap rides with you, too.

I may have my third chassis up there for that event. It'll be my Enduro car because it has the larger (+3.7 gallons) late gas tank. It's got 400 lb front/ 30mm rear bars. You could drive that, too. I trust you.

Sorry but I can't make that date. I have overheat issues and I'm going to be getting some family time in. I will probably miss July also due to vacation. (No the wife does not concider a weekend in Roseamond a vacation!! ) I think my next event will be POC at Laguna in August. I can't let P.Dilly just take the championship. He'll have to earn it. Plus I hope to be competitive by then.

Joe,

Thanks for compiling the best lap info. There are some additional factors in this databesides track conditions. Looking at my times, those from Firebird were when I was first starting and sorting out the car and learning to drive it. They are way off pace there. Most of the others reflect more recent results where I have been much more competitive. In fact I have a lot of second bests behind you. I haven't raced many of the CA drivers and look forward to doing so once I get a trailer and get moved perhaps later in the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Joe, I guess a few of us created some extra work for you this weekend. And who'd a thunk it in the heat too????

P.Dilly.

I'll get try to get this list and spec results updated today.

Yep extra work. Only thing I am worried about is your times all ALL FASTER than Mine!

I better get back the race track or I'll turn into a backmarker faster than you can say Minardi!

I better get back the race track or I'll turn into a backmarker faster than you can say Minardi!

Faster than you can say Miata? Man my eyes are a little blurry!

Well Minardi is the pereninal back marker of Formula. They are routinely 4-5 seconds slower than the "Red" cars.

Anyway...

... Funnything about the driver's best laps! Just like track records they only count from a race so I took most guy's best RACE lap.

Anyway they are updated anyway along with season points.

Yeah I know the Minardi's, they had an Aussie in one for a bit.

Forgot about that whole "race" lap time, DOH!!!

Thanks Joe.

P.Dilly.