The Ultimate AIX car?

Jaymz

If you could build the ultimate AIX car what would it be? Would it be an older 84-92 coupe? A 93 or newer? Or something similar to the new GTR?

Whoud it be based on the 5.0L motor or the newer 4.6L block? Or something I am unaware of?

Would it have a big stroker motor or some boost?

What about suspension upgrades? IRS Rear? How about brakes?

Is there a builder of choice for the American Iron cars?

Third Generation Camaro/Firebird (82-92) with a worked LS6/T56, 3.73 gears with T2R, Coilover Kit with Koni DA's all around, lightweight wheels with aggressive offsets, big brake kit and a mullet for the driver. The bonus is that a base car in good condition can be had very, very cheap. Two years ago, I sold this car for $5,300 and the only reason that it was so expensive was because it had the (very desireable) factory L98 motor in it:

http://community.webshots.com/album/57416199qPYKqL

Another choice could be a brand new GTO with a Vortech supercharger bolted to it, but they are even heavier than the f-bodies stock.

Since the year 2000, I have owned 4 different f-bodies ('69, '88, '98, '95) and I am still convinced that the third gens are the best platform for road racing due to their weight and their enhanced ability to accept tweaks.

...and James, you already have the based motor! Sometime over the last 12 months, Chevy High Performance Magazine had an article on the steps required to swap the LS1 into a 3rd gen. I can't imagine the LS6 being all that different from an installation standpoint.

As far as building the car is concerned, there may be better places for Mustangs since it is a more traveled path, but these guys have a serious setup:

http://www.stropespeedshop.com/

This is near my house and where I got my AI dyno test done. While I was there, they were machining a C5R block for a customer and putting the finishing touches on a C5 where they had installed a different C5R motor with assisted breathing (can't remember if it was turbo or supercharged). IIRC, they had 6 bays they they were all full of Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes and Mustangs. They specialize in GM products, but there were two Mustang Cobras getting things done to them. They also do cages, fire systems, etc. My instincts are that they would be somewhat expensive.

Another possibility is Sam Strano at http://www.stranoparts.com While he is primarily into autocross, he can build/setup a car for road racing if he chooses to do so. He is the guy who diagnosed my drivetrain vibration without ever seeing the car...

Hey, I think I know where to get that clip-on mullet...

Sounds like my crew chief's practically half-built that car already, or is about to, out of his TA... though he'd have to ditch the sound system! But yeah, you'd want to talk to Strano on that - he's the one who hooked my crew chief up on the whole suspension, etc... Sounds like he's tried everything that's possible to try on these cars...

Wait a minute, Cos ( better get on this before Monroe comes unglued ).

A geniune CTS-V is legal in AIX. The car you pictured would NOT be legal - firewall has been set back anywhere from 8-10 inches ( depending on what article you read ).

Third Generation Camaro/Firebird (82-92) with a worked LS6/T56, 3.73 gears with T2R, Coilover Kit with Koni DA's all around, lightweight wheels with aggressive offsets, big brake kit and a mullet for the driver. The bonus is that a base car in good condition can be had very, very cheap. Two years ago, I sold this car for $5,300 and the only reason that it was so expensive was because it had the (very desireable) factory L98 motor in it:

http://community.webshots.com/album/57416199qPYKqL

...and James, you already have the based motor! Sometime over the last 12 months, Chevy High Performance Magazine had an article on the steps required to swap the LS1 into a 3rd gen. I can't imagine the LS6 being all that different from an installation standpoint.

the LS6/1 are the same, no difference in installation. I am just finishing work on my AI 3rd Gen Fbody, complete with LS1, T56, etc. There is a shop in Springfield, Illinois that specializes in Fbods and Mustangs, and they are really big into putting LS1's into 3rd gens now. They are also my sponsor.

You can get everything you need from Spohn Performance, including the big brake upgrade. For the mounting hardware for the engine and tranny, it is very cheap. I have upgraded everything on the car that you listed, including the Konis, but the problem with the LS1 in AI is that it has to pretty much be stock, to meet the HP and torque reqs. I don't even have headers, i am using stock exhaust manifolds, to hold the horse down. But if i ever wanted to go up to AIX, it would be a simple matter of yanking the engine and doing a few things to it. The power you can get from an LS1/6 for very little money is pretty nice. The only thing i lack is a mullet, but i suppose i could get a wig.

Cam,

How's my old Z28 coming? Going to make it to Mid-Ohio?

Sidney Franklin

AGS/AI #64

PS. Better check with Lawrence about that number, Bob Denton has #67 on his Firebird.

Yes, it is going to make it to mid-ohio, and also the next race in Michigan in July. and about the number, it was the one lawrence gave me from the list submitted. i will double check with him, though.

c.

Eirewolf - Please keep that car away from me. It is exactly what I want and I may be unable to control myself when I see it. I have never stolen anything in my life, but this might push me over the edge!!!

I can't wait to see it at Mid Ohio.

aaaahhhh! please don't, then i won't have anything to putt-putt around the track in. i have a feeling it is more impressive on paper than in real life.