Gift ideas for a new racer

racerswife

Hey guys,

My husband just started racing NASA, and I'm looking for some gift ideas for him for Christmas. Are there any accessories you feel you can't race without?

Thanks!

What type of racing? Autocross, high performance driving events, or wheel-to-wheel racing?

You'll never have a shortage of racing goodies he'd enjoy. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Also, how much are you looking to spend?

There are MANY MANY great gifts for the racer you love.

There are lots of books that are beneficial and there is an endless supply of gear and other helpful items.

Same questions that Dave asked above....but I would like to caution....HPDE is NOT racing specifically by definition. No timing No scoring Not racing. Very important for insurance purposes that this line of definition is established and maintained.

Let us know what exactly he is involved in and we can better suggest a great gift.

What car?

What class?

What region?

How old is he?

Does he have all the latest safety gear?

(That is always the best area to consider gift giving for)

Hans device?

First suggestion--a HANS (especially if he's doing wheel 2 wheel racing). It's expensive, but nothing says "I love you" like a safety device. My wife got me mine for my wedding gift!

Thanks for all the replies.

To answer your questions, he is 35, racing Spec Miata in Florida. I'm not sure what safety gear he has but I'm sure he doesn't have a Hans device. Not looking to spend a fortune but if it's for safety, it's priceless, right? He has nomex garments and helmet of course, suit, boots. I was thinking maybe a cool shirt or something like that but I'd like some smaller gift ideas too in case anyone asks for an idea for him.

My wife supporting me in racing would be enough for me!

I think i might get a lump of coal this year.

If he has all the safety equipment ( Hans, ect.), maybe something like a Traqmate or similiar device. Or radio's to communicate on the track with someone off the track.

Could get a Grassroots magazine and flip through it.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies.

You are Welcome.

if it's for safety, it's priceless, right?

Absolutely. A head restraint device of some sort will be required Jan 2008.

Looking on page 63 of CCR http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

15.17.8 Head and Neck Restraint

....Use of a head and neck restraint system is strongly recommended and may be mandatory in some series. .....

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Use of a head and neck restraint system or device, meeting SFI specifications, may become mandatory for all road race series as of January 1, 2008.

...maybe a cool shirt

Great suggestion. That was my birthday present this year.

...I'd like some smaller gift ideas too ...

helmet or steering wheel hooks.

steering wheel or quick release.

lap timer.

car cover.

torque wrench.

work matt

custom fit ear plugs

video camera mount

and more.....

A head restraint device of some sort will be required Jan 2008.

No, it may be required. That line has been in the CCR for a while, with the date changing every 6 months or so. I'd be surprised if it is required in Jan, considering that we've had no recent heads-up. But a H&N device is still an excellent (gift) idea. I'm a no-budget cheapskate and I already bought a HANS, so that should tell you something. If a HANS is twice your gift budget, then I'll 2nd the coolshirt recommendation - especially since you're in Florida.

...I'd like some smaller gift ideas too ...

Battery powered 1/2" impact gun for quickly changing wheels in the paddock. $100 at Pep Boys under the Goodyear brand name. Especially nice when running long wheel studs.

My wife supporting me in racing would be enough for me!

I think i might get a lump of coal this year.

Aww! I'm sure she is proud of you.

I think I am in over my head with some of these mechanical things. Yes, the HANS is wayyyyy over my budget and probably not something I'd just buy without speaking with him first anyway. So far, I've thought of the more tangential things such as extra head socks to bring for long track days, and a medal/trophy display box (he won two sprint races and an enduro in his class this weekend, yay!) I also want to frame some pictures of him from the races for his garage or make an album or something. Of course, that would be ongoing.

I like the camera mount idea, since he always scrutinizes the video I take of him from the stands for days after the race. Video from inside the car would provide many obsessive hours of entertainment!

I'd go with the in-car video. Does your video camera accept inputs? If so, getting him a lip stick camera (check out http://www.chasecam.com for ideas) would be ideal.

For stocking stuffers, get him a few racing books if he doesn't already have them such as Speed Secrets (get some of the later ones in the series) and Going Faster!

Maybe tickets to a pro event in your area?

Hey guys,

My husband just started racing NASA, and I'm looking for some gift ideas for him for Christmas. Are there any accessories you feel you can't race without?

Thanks!

I'm shocked and frankly disappointed that non of the single guys have asked if you have a sister.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

I'm shocked and frankly disappointed that non of the single guys have asked if you have a sister.

As I read through the thread I was thinking that... you just beat me to it.
Are any of us single?
8)