08 SCCA Cage rules and crossover to NASA

Izzy's Cages

I've got a few cage projects coming up that want to cross over between SCCA as their main racing and NASA when there's a race somewhat local to the midwest.

The SCCA is changing its min. tube requirement for Jan 08. 1.5x.095 will now be the min. tube size for up to 2699 lbs. This was raised from 2100 lbs IIRC. 1.75x.095 now starts at 2700 lbs. This is obviously a conflict with the NASA tubing requirements so what is the best option for my clients to run in a class they can compete in if they build to SCCA min. specs???

If they want to compete under both sanctions with a new car, build the cage using the larger diameter tubing. Gussets and reinforcements can still be made of the smaller diameter/lighter tubing as long as the main tubes are all from spec material.

It is a trade off trying to meet requirements of more than one rule set.

15.6.18 Roll Cage Tubing Sizes

For the purposes of determining roll bar tubing sizes, vehicle weight is as raced, but

without fuel and driver. Note: There is an allowance of minus 0.010 inches on all tubing thicknesses.

Minimum tubing size for the roll cage is:

Up to 1500 lbs.

1.375â€

Thanks Ren. After rereading my post, I failed to make myself clear to what my real question was....

Is there a catch all class (kind of like SCCA's ITE or SPU/O etc) that would allow them to run in NASA with a *new* SCCA cage or are they going to get turned away because their cage doesn't meet the min. requirements for NASA?

You are Welcome.

Our catch all class is PT or Performance Touring. What kind of car are we talking about? Perhaps it would fit in another class also.

There again if you are suggesting that the cage in this car is not going to meet the minimum standards listed in the rules, then I cant offer any direction other than to speak to a chief tech inspector. I dont believe they will issue a log book if the car doesnt meet standards.

Perhaps someone will chime in.

There again if you are suggesting that the cage in this car is not going to meet the minimum standards listed in the rules, ... I dont believe they will issue a log book if the car doesnt meet standards.

It will meet another sanctioning bodies (SCCA) rules for tubing requirements, but not NASA's.

There are a couple of cars coming in.. an ACR Neon, ITS 944, ITB 318... all of which used to be required to run 1.75x.095 but now the min. would be 1.5x.095 per the new SCCA rules.

I guess there's some hope here:

16.1 Competition Vehicle Logbook......[Note: Some of the requirements in this section may be waived for cars that meet the current published safety rules for their class listed with another bonafide

sanctioning body (i.e. FIA, IMSA, ALMS, SCCA, Grand Am), unless otherwise specified by these rules.]

Thanks Frank!

Oh, SCCA has changed their pad rules as well. Now 144 sq. inches and 15" limit per side.

The intent of the other sanctions cage rules apply is to allow someone from another sanction try out NASA without modification to there cars. After they become "officially" NASA member they must comply with NASA rules.

Or so I understand the rule.

Thanks Ren. After rereading my post, I failed to make myself clear to what my real question was....

Is there a catch all class (kind of like SCCA's ITE or SPU/O etc) that would allow them to run in NASA with a *new* SCCA cage or are they going to get turned away because their cage doesn't meet the min. requirements for NASA?

Another "catch all" class would be SU/ST...usually higher horsepower cars then the PT classes.