Safety First! Spinal Injury prevention with HANS.

PeanutinCA

Hey guys. I posted something with regard to the HANS device and neck inguries in the past. Take a search if your interested? Now, I'm not endorsing the HANS device. I'm just suggesting people put some thought into safety. Spend money on a device you hope you never have to use.

If you ever want to know what impact a spinal cord injury (neck) can have on your life, call me, email me, pull me aside and I will do my best to convince you it's something you don't want to go through. From issues with sleeping at night, to laying on the sofa to watch your favorite shows, holding the phone to your ear, readnig a book, changing a light bulb or even working on your car. Let alone getting through a weekend of racing. A neck (spinal cord) injury, even small ones are not something you want or need.

So, with your health and a good guys shop in mind, I want to inform you of a deal on the HANS device. I paid just short of $1K for my HANS. Jim at Advance Automotive in Hawthorne (310.542.2977) is selling them for $865. That's not much more than his cost. I wish he was selling them when I bought. So think hard and long next time your about to buy those Hoosiers. I know it's hard to pay big money for something you hope to never use. But would you drive without harnesses or a helmet? If not the HANS device, there are other devices on the market. Go to spineuniverse.com and read some stories from desperate people trying to get some relief from pain and disability, maybe that will help convince you.

Your health in mind.

Regards,

P.Dilly.

Edit : I hope this doesn't circumvent any NASA Forum policies? If NASA deems it a good idea for the rest of the NASA group, perhaps some arrangements could be made to the group for a large purchase?

How bout "kickback"

For me? No, none. Seeing my friends be a little safer and avoid what I have been through?

Are there any devices that are effective with side impacts? The thing NASA is pushing is supposed to be but I haven't been any independent tests on it. The HANS device, from what I remember, is mainly for frontal impacts.

Yes. I believe my post was in the race craft section. More than anything else, you want a side-impact net inside the car. But read my post first - I think you can view "posts by this user" under my profile, might be the quickest way to find it. I've got pics of the net on my webpage, though it's still going through installation...

I have bought a side bar that I intend to attach to my seat. From Kirkey, Head support for about $30. I'll bolt it to my Sparco seat.

Kseatsupports.gif

P.Dilly.

I've been looking at seats with integral side impact head protection too.

The Sparco "Touring"

Cobra "Evolution"

OMP "Pista"

These look like the Touring Car ones. Pricey.

I had a Sparco Touring for about a week. The head supports and my short legs left no room to drag me out the window if need be? I figure with the window net on the left, I just need 1 head support on the right. So that is my plan. Bolt it to my current seat.

P.Dilly.

Yeah, I thought about that too. With my seat back brace in, and my seat in it's fixed position, it's a tight sqeeze getting out with my helmet on. It would be worse with a seat with integral side head restraints.

Mind you, that was in my 993 with the quarter window. Might no be so bad with the 944? It should be fine on the passenger side to have the head restraint?

Edited by Guest