On Board Video

jaje

Wonder what others are using for OBV. I've got normal camcorder and want to get rid of it for something lighter and less bulky.

I looked around and systems can get pricey quickly - upwards of $1500 for some high quality stuff. I came across this unit GoPro Motorsports Hero wireless camera $170 - looks like small hand camera built for video - can take a 2g SD card and record up to 50 mins of video and sound and with what looks like great quality. Here's some videos from their site.

MFGR site:

http://www.goprocamera.com/index5.htm

Videos of footage:

http://gopro.vsocial.com/#102853

Yeah, I was thinking of things like remote mounting the mic inside the engine bay. Not a big dead if you cant do it. I'm normally a fan of solid state data storage for an application like this. My only other concern would be how long 2x AAA batteries would last. Yeah, you can have a 2gb SD card last for 55min, but would the batteries hold out?

That would be a good question to ask the MFGR of the unit. I'm looking into it but don't really need remote mounting. It looks easy to mount and lightweight (if the batteries last). I'm sure you can get NiCad or LIOn rechargeable units which last longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the only option I have for local competitive racing is SCCA - it's ok. There is a one off PCA race and some long tows to get into a NASA event.

We'll treat you right and make it worth the haul, though .

One of my racers who does electronics installation in his day job, is evaluating some options for SD card type recorders - Ray Freundt. Can PM or me if you want more info.

Apart from the only option I have for local competitive racing is SCCA - it's ok. There is a one off PCA race and some long tows to get into a NASA event.

We'll treat you right and make it worth the haul' date=' though .

One of my racers who does electronics installation in his day job, is evaluating some options for SD card type recorders - Ray Freundt. Can PM or me if you want more info.[/quote']

I maybe interested in such a device...in all reality I'd like to get an "affordable" system that can do the following:

- One process that can accept up to 3 video feeds

- Data loggins such as RPM, Speed and provide it with the feed.

- Have GPS capability and sector and lap times.

- Store on something like a 4 GB or greater USB drive

I was talking with a guy on Honda Tech who said he was trying to develop a system that would cost $500 and do all those things.