Steering Rack Advice

David J Marguglio

I have replaced by power steering rack once already (due to a leak) and now it is leaking like a sieve, again. I need to do something about it and it seems that I have three choices:

1. Replace with another power rack (rebuilt or used).

2. Replace with a manual rack.

3. Jam a bunch of grease into the power rack and make it a manual rack.

Of these ideas, I think the third will be the cheapest and likely easiest to do. Anyone have any thoughts otherwise? Anyone have any experience with this? What kind of grease do I use and how do I do it? Do I have to take it off the car?

David-

I tried using a power rack without the power and didn't like it. Maybe I'm just weak and/or lazy. That was on my first 944. On my current 944, it came with the manual rack and it is tolerable since it is easier to turn than a power rack without power.

If you haven't already, you might try removing the power steering belt and driving/racing like that to see if you are ok with it.

I'd go with the second option, getting rid of the power rack and putting in a manual one. We'll take your current rack and pump and hide them in Tim's car.

As you know, I replaced my power rack with a manual one. I didn't mind the extra effort of the power rack with the belt removed and only changed to manual to lose some extra weight and to get rid of all the mess of power steering fluid dripping onto the floor of my garage. The weight savings is perhaps 10 lbs. give or take

The manual rack is easier to turn but is also not as tight. It is 4 turns lock to lock. I've found myself having to shuffle hand positions more often in the turns with this rack.

I spoke to a guy in Canada who rebuilds a lot of 944 racks and he has "prepared" power racks for manual use. I'm not clear what this entails but he would open them up and remove seals and stuff. If you look at the rack there are four lines that run in/out of it. Two of them actually go back into the rack in another location. It appears that the interior of the rack is not one continuous space and these lines connect separate compartments. Despite this, the guy told me that you can just pack grease into it and it should be fine. Where to put the grease is the question. I guess I would just shove it into every hole I could find. But thats always been my motto anyway

BTW He used "Red Line synthetic grease".

David, I've seen those guns, you can handle it. I converted (or had converted) my power rack to manual. Can't tell you what they did? Going by track record probably nothing? It should have been filled and plugged? But, I do notice the extra effort it takes at lower speeds. At higher track speeds it's less vague than power steering. You know Tim's power steering was nice in the Tribute race where it's was a casual drive. But in race conditions, I enjoy the manual converted rack. I do notice it, but that's due to my neck and muscle fatigue. A burly bloke like yourself should be able to handle it. Hell, I used to get pins and needles in my hand with power steering so, what's the difference huh? Go for it. Plus it and try. If you don't like it, then spend the money to swap it. That's seems the cheaper option.

P.Dilly.

Go with the conversion first. It will save you time and money and I'm sure you'll get used to the feel.

I did the conversion on my Turbo car and it's fine. Even with 275's in front and about 350hp to the wheels it's manageable. I did purchase a steering wheel quick release extension to bring the wheel back about 3 inches. This helps reduce arm fatigue as it's easier to hold your arms up in a more bent position versus having to reach in a more straightened position.

The Spec Car came with a manual.

Also, If you go with the manual rack be sure to have your caster setting adusted properly. With PS you will not notice it as much if it is off. W/O PS the wheel will feel extremely heavy if you are not set properly.

This was my experience with the turbo. I could barely turn the wheel until we made the adjustment. After that, it became very light and nimble.

Thanks to all for your sage advice, but mostly to Chris for this:

I guess I would just shove it into every hole I could find. But thats always been my motto anyway

When I finish laughing, I will be off to try the mod.

D

I really want to help everyone out by distracting Tim but even I have to draw the line somewhere. My other motto is: ALMOST anything for the team.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

The new red car has a disconnected power steering rack. It's a bit of work to get it around the pits, but feels light on the track. Especially with a big stock steering wheel. I drove it in the 3 Hour just last weekend and it didn't tire me out. I was thinking that I would reactivate it because I like the feel of PS in the Convict car. Now, maybe I'll spend that money elsewhere?