Head and Neck Device Question

Keith

Ken,

i am not implying that TT is not intense. in many ways i see it as a qualifying session and i know that putting together a good lap is never easy.

and NHRA is actually one of the things i was thinking about. if you want to run 11's you need this and if you want to run 9's you need this and that, etc.

i have a friend that runs in open road racing like the big bend in texas. for that, you need a full cage if you want to run an average speed of xxx and are limited to maximum speeds of yyy and they use radar guns at various straights to confirm, etc.

it seems somewhat inconsistent that someone in a new vette with a stock seatbelt can run 30 mph faster down the back straight at mid-ohio than my honda and i need a H&NR, new belts every 2-5 years and a 6 point cage with netting.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom91ita

• snk

• Renntag

• raffaelli

so Tom, you would say draw the lines around vehicle speed... fair enough

I'm inclined to lean that way until you consider what a massive can of worms writing a ruleset for that would be like

i do not for a minute think that this would be easy to implement or police based on speed ala NHRA. by class, based on typical expected speeds, perhaps. afterall, we are using a type of expected speeds and/or times when we class now in PT or TT, etc.

but i think the proverbial

can%20of%20worms.jpg

was opened when the rules were issued that effectively said that drivers of these cars need H&NR and the drivers of these cars that are just as fast do not.

i will not disagree that the potential for contact in a turn is greater in racing than TT. and i will not disagree that that contact can result in a mishap.

but i do not understand how loss of braking at the end of the backstretch at mid-ohio is safer if i remove my safety gear and add stickers that say TT or if i am running HPDE.

if anything, someone who is racing typically has more high speed track time than someone who is still in the HPDE stage of the NASA progression of increasing levels of HPDE leading to TT and possibly leading to racing.

I'm a fan of personal responsibility... but alas our court system doesn't reward that

fwiw, you're given VAST amounts of room to make your car as safe as you want to in TT, and most do take advantage of it

I'm a fan of personal responsibility...

Ken,

Turn that onto HNR:

"I choose to participate in this voluntary racing activity. I understand and accept the risks that are associated with such activity. I further understand that such a device exist that could potentially protect me from injuries sustained in a particular form of on-track accident. I, of sound mind and body however, choose not to wear this particular device as I feel it limits my ability to spot potential on-track dangers, as well as limiting my ability to egress the vehicle during an emergency situation. As such, I do not wear the specified SFI rated 38.1 device and assume all liability associated with this decision"

Just a thought.

See you around sometime this season bro!

-Jayson