Help with engine won't start problem

billpennock

I badly overheated the engine at Laguna Seca. Don't know if the heat came before the head gasket broke or head gasket caused the heat but I had to pull off behind the wall at the top of the corkscrew. I turned the car off, it didn't do that itself but once it cooled down it wouldn't restart. The engine turns over fine, no weird noises but it just turns and turns. I have not put water back in yet, most boiled out. I just wanted to try to get it started for a second before I broke into everything to replace the head gasket. Any ideas? The fuel port pumps fuel, there is 12 volts to the coil. Anything special I should be looking for? Like the electronic control turns it off if a water level switch shows empty.

Thanks

Check the engine temp sensor under the intake about the middle of the block. Loose wire will cause issues and not starting. How's the compression? Are the injectors pulsing?

I haven't been able to work on it till today but I undid the air intake between the airflow measuring box and the throttle body. There were puddles of raw oil in the throat of the throttle and in the hose. There are 2 other little hoses connected into this big hose. The one near the Throttle that goes under the intake manifold routes down into the head (looks like)appears to be the culprit. Is it likely that this is putting so much oil in the throttle that the car won't start because of the oil? Is this a bigger bad sign or simply more symptoms of the head gasket problem? Finally is there a better book than the Haynes manual? I'm getting some out of it but it is almost more frustrating than helpful, stuff like "see illustration" and there is none, take the connector off the DEE and test between terminal 13 and ground but no illustration anywhere about the terminal numbering system, it makes me nuts.

Bill

Some oil there is normal, it's part of the positive crankcase ventilation system. I think it's common to see little puddles in the ribs of the accordion type hoses. A compression check should probably be your next step.

Mine had what I thought was alot also but is was explained that when we runa t full or a little above we push a little more out also.

I was watching Sports Car Revolution on Speed and one of the folks said, when you start racing the learning curve is pretty steep. Man they were right. Good to know about the oil thing.

I didn't work on it too much today but I got the intake off and found a couple of vacuum hoses melted, most notibly the one to the fuel pressure regulator, so that might have something to do with no start.

Bill, you shouldn't have liquid oil in the intake boot before the throttle body. As Tom said, there is a hose that vents the oil vapors from the engine block up to the intake boot. It originates at the oil filler neck. The oil vapors are then burned instead of venting to the atmosphere. If the car is overfilled with oil, you'll get liquid in the boot instead of just vapors. I run my engine about 1/4 of a quart above full and I check it before every single session. My car was overfilled one time and blew horrendous clouds of blue smoke. I just drained some oil out, topped it off, cleaned out the boot and it was good to go. No fouled plugs.