How long will race fuel keep in storage?

vpnwiz

I have about 5 gallons of 105 octane unleaded that I bought at the last event at Putnam Park. It's been in the container in the garage since then.

Question, how long will this stay good for? I can add some Stabil to it but I think that will defeat the purpose of racing fuel? If it won't last until March I will just start putting it in my street car.

Thanks,

Patrick

I've read anywhere from 90-180 days for regular pump gas with a lot more protective additives.
Pump gas is made to go bad after 180 day so people will not store it. Race fuel is diffrent. calling is the bast way to find out, also sta-bil works very well if you need to store your car. Also (I heard this, so how true it is I don't know) the dirt track guys say that the Octain gets knocked out of the mix after a lot of sloshing around. Sounds a little funny, but you never know till you ask the people who make it.

That's a really good article. It reminds you how truly dangerous gasoline is. I also need to get the old gas out of the Miata soon... maybe it's time to fire it up this week and let it run for a while. That's probably safer than draining the gas out and putting it in the mower.

FWIW the gas I have is Shell 105 unleaded bought at Putnam Park this fall. Sounds like it will be good until the first events happen next year. I checked Shell's site for MSDS and other docs but couldn't come up with advice on storage.

Also if anyone has any links on where to buy racing fuel, whether at the pump or in the 55 gallon drums, I would appreciate them. I'm in northern Ohio and so far I've only found it at Mid-O, Nelson Ledges (who wouldn't pump it for me) and Putnam. I would like my own drum of racing fuel but it's not safe to store at home.

Thanks,

Patrick

Thanks for the link John.

One critical area is the type of container used to store and transport fuel. It is recommended that fuel be kept in 55-gallon steel drums.

“Plastic jugs are very poor storage containers for a number of reasons,â€

• 3 weeks later...

I stored about 30 gal of sunnoco 110 last winter inside, in the barrel sealed, and it went bad after 4 months. I now try to not keep any at all. I even pump the cars tank totally empty now. I had to give the 30 gal to a farmer he ran it in his antique tractor. I didn't have the heart to tell him what the stuff cost.

I stored about 30 gal of sunnoco 110 last winter inside, in the barrel sealed, and it went bad after 4 months. I now try to not keep any at all. I even pump the cars tank totally empty now. I had to give the 30 gal to a farmer he ran it in his antique tractor. I didn't have the heart to tell him what the stuff cost.

How do you know it went bad?

Yeah I'm curious to know what the symptoms are for bad gas other than not running worth a $h!7. We always have problems with this when we run our family boat for the first time after winter storage.

Do the the carbon strands in the gasoline denaturate and kill the octane value? I'm not a chemist by any stretch, but I know that bonds containing high potential chemical energy tend to change into more stable bonds over time (less potential energy). Sounds like a possibility??

Phillip

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not totally sure it went bad as far as octane etc because I have no way to check it. I do know it didn't look the same (brown color instead of blue) and it didn't smell the same. I've got around $20,000 tied up in the motor, I'm not going to chance it.