Wheel offset for the 88?

PeanutinCA

What is the wheel offset for the 88 compatible with? I'm guessing it's different to the 85.5-87 due to different front control arms? I want to find another set of phone dials (or cookie's if possible) so what do I need to look for?

Thanks,

P.Dilly.

There are two offsets for the 944.

Early Offset 83-85 and 85.5-86 cars

23.3mm Wheel options are Cookie cutters and Phone Dials. Fuchs fit, but are not legal per rules.

Late Offset 87-88 cars

52.3 mm Wheel options are Phone dials. Most later Porsche wheels fit on these cars, but are not legal our series.

Track is the same on all 944 bodied cars, but offset was adjusted in 87 to allow for hub changes to accomodate ABS. Most 87 & 88 944's did NOT have ABS and it is not legal in our series anyway.

The 924S is unique in that it has all the early offset suspension parts, but must run with the 52.3 mm offset wheels. This is required to allow the tires to clear the narrower body work. The track is narrower on the 924S than the 944, but the narrower body reduces high speed drag.

Note on Spacers.

It is possible to install 52.3 mm offset wheels on a 23.3 mm suspension. Only issue is that spacers are needed to otherwise the wheels are too far in. The current rules do not allow spacers, but Tim was working on rule change allow spacers only if track was mantained.

It is possble to put 23.3 mm wheels on 52.3 mm suspension. Problem is that your track is wider than stock and the tires may rub the fenders or be outside the fenders, but of which are not legal. Again Tim was working on rule change to limit us to stock track.

Dylan you will need 52.3 mm offset wheels for the 88 unless you swap to early offset suspension.

Thanks Joe. So it's 87-88 wheels. Thanks for the reminder. It was the 87 that got the first of the new A-Arms.

Anyone know of any 87-88 Phone Dials on the market?

Cheers,

P.Dilly.

Maybe we could come up with a compromise track width that would allow all cars to run on cookies which are lighter than phone dials. I would think that w/ the camber we run, fender clearance would be less of a problem in the event we had to use spacers to get a wheel to fit. Obviously this would be a wider than stock track width.

Lets keep track width stock on all 944 and just use Cookie's & Phone Dials. The weight differenece between cookie and phone dials is minimal. Remember Tim set all the so-cal track records on phone dials.

There may be what 0.05 to 0.1 of second difference between them? Heck none of us are that consistant.

I agree with Joe on this one. I like the idea of everybody being the same track width too. The easiest and cheapest way to do that is to keep what the cars came with. It's FREE!

If not, I'm afraid we'll be shopping for combinations of trailing arms, A-arms, hubs, spacers, wheels, to get the "new" width. I suppose you could backdate in order to be able to run the lighter cookies?

I'll keep my old steel A-arms for now. But I'm sending my phonedials straight to the acid dipper........

That was a joke guys...............please don't acid dip your wheels.