Toyo RA-1 Questions

Dave B

How does the RA-1 stand up compared to other DOT Race tires in the 275/40-17 size? I am very used to Victoracers and really would like to know how the RA-1s stand up on a heavy car ( LT1 Camaro). I have a number of colleagues who run the Toyos on lighter front or all wheel drive cars but don't know anyone who uses them on heavy rear drive cars. Your thoughts?

Toyos are generally more durable but provide slightly less grip, in my experience. They tend to recover better from being overheated than the Kumho.

• 1 month later...

I'll be using the same size (275/40/17) RA-1 on a Mustang (~3300 with me in it). Do these need to be shaved for dry use?

Some tires I've used (Kumho's, etc.) need to be shaved or they'll self destruct, while others (Yoke A032R's) seem to do fine at full tread depth.

Thanks...

I drive a 3550lb LT1 AI Firebird with 275/40 17's. All previous experience was with Victoracers. In my opinion, they do not grip as well as the Victoracers but they last forever. Since it is a spec tire, that's good because they don't need replaced so quickly.

For dry use, everyone that I know has them shaved...

Shaved Toyo RA1's definately work better in the dry but the nice thing about them is that it is not mandatory. I have run full treads in the dry and have not chunked or blistered them with a 3100 lb Mustang on 255-50-16s. Nice to know if you want to get a little more life out of them.

-=- Todd

Shaved Toyo RA1's definately work better in the dry but the nice thing about them is that it is not mandatory. I have run full treads in the dry and have not chunked or blistered them with a 3100 lb Mustang on 255-50-16s. Nice to know if you want to get a little more life out of them.

-=- Todd

Jeff,

I'll second what Todd wrote. Christian S. ran them on his 3500+ lb Mustang (in 225/50-16) and they lasted much longer than the Kumho's, G-Force R1's and even original R1's on my 3200 lb Mustang. He said at full depth they drive like a street tire and just get better the more they wear. I used his last worn-out set after he went to bigger wheels/tires, I thought they might last a session or two but they still weren't gone after 2 events. And even though they sat in my basement for quite a while before I used them, they had very good grip. I've never driven another tire that seemed to be almost immune to the number of heat cycles - and that includes street tires.

If you're looking for track tires rather than race tires, I'd say get a set full tread. Christian drove them to/from most track events as well, so they had several thousand street miles in addition to 35-40 track sessions. His final highway drive home on them in a downpour was pretty memorable, though. I was having trouble keeping the tow rig headed straight, I know he had to be white-knuckled.