Ailing porsche enthusiast in need of your help.

cstreit911

Hey guys, Warren is one of those people that ALWAYS has time to help out a Porsche enthusiast in need. He is very active on a number of Porsche forums and helps many people in person. I know the people involved personally and this is a dire and legitimate need.

Warren has Cystic Fibrosis (follow this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystic_fibrosis). He's been in the hospital many times over the past years fighting off pneumonia and has beaten the odds by reaching the age of 57 years. This stay at St Paul hospital in Dallas has convinced him to finally become a candidate for a lung transplant which can ultimately lead Warren back to full health. Dr Rosenblatt (I believe the lead transplant doc) tells him that his other systems, heart, digestive, etc are in good order and he should be a good candidate.

There are two problems, time and money. The procedure will cost $400,000 to $500,000 and Warren is without insurance. The hospital will not consider him for a transplant or even the screening process to get on the list without the ability to finance it. He has some assets that can be sold to offset 30 – 35% of the cost, but that is not enough to get St Paul’s attention. The next problem, and this is much more critical is time. Warren’s Dr tells them that he expects time will run out for our friend in 3 to 4 months.

His sister Pat recently retired from her civil service job to care for Warren and act as his full time caretaker/advocate. Over the past few weeks, she has been weaving her way through the medical/health care system to find a way to get the transplant surgery paid for. She is currently checking into the Medicare/Medicaid system, bet we fear that the enrollment and qualification process may take too long.

Warren needs your help. Doctors, attorneys, medical case workers or others that know the system or have resources, please speak up and help our friend get through this.

If you have ideas, another enthusiast is coordinating this. He can be reached by email (only has email access in the evening) [email protected], or by cell at 214 - four seven eight - 7272 or at work 214 - eight five nine - 6696.

We are in full fundraising mode for Warren. The official paypal fundraising account for Warren is [email protected] Paypal website is https://www.paypal.com/.

For those of you that want to send a check you can make it out to Kurt Valentine (KurtV) and he will deposit it into the Warren account. Here's the info you need:

Kurt Valentine

1100 Swifts Hwy

Jefferson City, MO 65109

Edited by Guest

The next level is to reach out virally to the world. Many of you know influential and most of you are members of other online communities. We must tap into these other resources and ask/beg/grovel for money. I also need you to post on other forums and boards that you are members of and request member participation. If we can get this drive rolling, it will take on its own life, and Warren will have the best possible chance of getting through this.

Next is media attention. I know many of you are either in the media or have contacts. Think television news ASAP. There are two stories that media will be interested in. One is an online community coming together to help save a person's life. The second is a spotlight on the healthcare system and a person who can be saved but is marooned in its financial no mans land. If you have contacts that can help, please have them call me - 24/7 at my numbers on the first page of the master donation thread.

Below is a draft for you to work off of for emails and other BBS postings

Think Viral

Dear Friends,

Many of you know that maintaining, driving and restoring old Porsches is both a hobby and passion for me. There is an online community in the form of a bulletin board that has become an amazing technical resource for the hobby. This board is frequented by a few amazingly bright individuals who freely share their wisdom and experience so that others may benefit. Warren Hall from San Angelo, Texas, is one of the most prolific resources we have.

I write to you today on his behalf. Warren, known as Early S Man on the Pelican Parts Bulletin Boards, is in St Paul Hospital in Dallas TX in need of a lung transplant due to his lifelong struggle with Cystic Fibrosis. Warren has been a tireless contributor to the Porsche hobby and long time Porsche enthusiast.

Warren is caught in the grip of a broken health care system. He does not have insurance, but has assets that do not quickly allow him into the Medicare/Medicaid system. The surgery and aftercare is expected to cost $500,000 and the hospital will not consider him a candidate until he can prove his ability to pay. Warren's other challenge is time. His Doctor has given him 3 - 4 months to live without the transplant. We need to raise minimum of $350,000 in the next 30 days to get him in the system and on the transplant list.

I am writing you today in hopes that you will help by generously contributing to the fund set up to pay for the procedure. Some long time board members on Pelican have started a fund and collected over $10,000 in less than 24 hours. I'm asking you to visit the thread at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=384258 and contribute to this fund. Warren deserves our help and WE can make a difference and help save his life. Please visit and give generously.

Thanks Eric!!!

If anyone knows of a way to help them through this process, particularly if you are an "insider" in the media or medical field, Mark's contact info is above.

Thank you to the people who tried to help. Unfortunately we lost our old friend at 6:00 today. RIP Warren Hall aka "Early S Man".

For those that donated, we are hoping you will allow the fund to help pay his outstanding medical bills and final arrangements. You may contact Mark or Kurt otherwise.

• 3 months later...