Can an automatic Corvette be raced?

slowoldpoop

I am thinking about buying a Corvette, but most of them are automatics. Is it possible to run an automatic Vette in TT or HPDE4?

What do you do about downshifts? Shift it manually, or let it downshift by itself?

What do you do when it wants to upshift at a critical time, like when cornering at the max?

Is there a mod that can be done to the trans to control the shifts?

Is there a better automatic that can be installed?

How much would it cost to convert an auto to a manual?

I haven't had a Vette since my 74 T-Top, so I am out of the loop on current Corvette lore. Any help would be appreciated.

To answer your specific questions:

What do you do about downshifts? Shift it manually, or let it downshift by itself? - It depends on the turn, but I generally manually down shifted and threw it into drive after corner exit on the straight.

What do you do when it wants to upshift at a critical time, like when cornering at the max? - Hold it in a lower gear.

Is there a mod that can be done to the trans to control the shifts? - You can install a shift kit with the hopes of improving durability but these pieces just aren't made for this kind of abuse.

Is there a better automatic that can be installed? - You can go beefier but I still think you will destroy it.

How much would it cost to convert an auto to a manual? - I'll bet that buying a manual versus buying an auto and converting, purchasing the manual is cheaper and less prone to problems.

I am pretty sure that automatics are allowed in HPDE and I also know that some race groups prohibits them (I run CMC and autos are not allowed).

When I used to attend open lapping events in my old Camaro that was an automatic, it didn't take very long to grenade it. I originally had it in my head that I would just live with the automatic shifting where it wanted to but it started to affect my ability to make it around the track quickly. So I started manually shifting it. For the most part, I let it upshift on it's own one I exited the corners (threw it to drive) and did the downshifts myself on corner entry. This ultimately destroyed it because there was no way to soften the drivetrain shock on the downshifts.

After an expensive experience with an auto on the track, I think you will be better off with a manual because as your ability increases, you will quickly learn just how much an automatic will handicap you. Keep looking for a manual and it will save you money in the long run.

I am not saying it can't be done but since you don't have the car yet, it is probably better to get the right one to start off. Just my opinion, I suppose.

Thanks. I kinda expected that.

The one I have in mind is a 94 LT1 that has 10,000 miles on a "heavy duty tranmission." I am not entirely sure what that means, and I don't know enough about Vettes to ask an intelligent question about it. Since the car has 130,000 miles, it means the transmission was replaced with the "heavy duty" unit--whatever that means. The engine was replaced 25,000 miles ago. Lots of other work has been done to it and, except for the auto trans, it looks like it would be a good HPDE car. It's run the Silver State Challenge three times.

If you can find a manual I would hold out for one.

I run a 2000 Camaro with the LS1 and 4 speed auto and have done HPDE for 2 years with no problems.

I let the transmission shift all on it's own, I put in drive and forget about it. I use the throttle to drive the corners. You do have to approach corners a little different but I found the biggest headache to be corner exit.

For example exiting Keyhole at Mid-Ohio I have to be very careful putting down the power to avoid a downshift entering the back straight and having the back end step out on me.

Mitch

2000 Camaro Z28

HPDE 3

I also would recommend holding out for a manual corvette. If your plan is to progress beyond the beginner group, then you will need a manual tranny.

Talk to the Corvette guys at your next NASA event. Are you a member of a Corvette club? That is also a great resource. It is a big jump in money, but I highly recommend the C6 vette. They are great.

I also would recommend holding out for a manual corvette. If your plan is to progress beyond the beginner group, then you will need a manual tranny..

I am a little beyond the beginner group, having competed in TTB, TTS and TTR with my Eclipse. I've had it with the expense, heartache and frustration involved when competing against the big dogs like Slinky and the Evil Banker.

I just want a car I can drive to the track with a/c on, run HPDE4 all weekend, and drive home again--without needing a truck and trailer, and without having to wrench on the dang thing all weekend. I am done with all that. I was hoping a Corvette might be the answer to actually having FUN at the track again. I used to enjoy going to the track, and I hope to recapture that feeling.

I know a few C6 owners that do just that. There are many fast track cars that are driven to and from the track. That is certainly a reasonable goal.

With your experience, you are not going to enjoy an auto on the track at all.

With your experience, you are not going to enjoy an auto on the track at all.

I thought that, by running HPDE4 without a transponder, I wouldn't feel the need to push it to the hairy edge in hopes of shaving off a tenth or so from my lap times--that I could run 9/10ths, keep the engine revs down, and just have fun driving fast. But I think you are saying, "once a racer always a racer," and those best intentions will come to naught in the heat of the moment, even in HPDE. So I better have a car that can take it, and that ain't an automatic. Hmm...

Maybe it isn't possible to go back.

Here in SoCal we have 2 guys regularly running TT with GM autos. One guy is in a Gen4 Camaro and runs loose as h@$# but uses the trans as a brake coming into the corner and "feathers" the throttle to avoid any unplanned upshifts. He has a shift kit.

The other dude is a pre-med student in an assisted control C4 450hp Corvette Beast. This car is a monster and you'd never know he has electric clutches. My point is that you can drive anything at the limit by adapting your driving technique.

Personally, I'm an old school manual racer and feel wierd letting the car do the deal. All points previously stated are valid. It's only your choice.

When looking at a good deal and wanting to get the car, I have a hard time putting offf the buy to go back out and find the exact configuration I wanted in the first place. Having to live with the wrong decision would make me bitter. I'd wait for the manual also.

This is a bit of a twist, but have you considered a spec racecar?

Two years ago I got tired of the "arms race" trying to build and maintain a high-powered turbo car. Then @ started racing a low powered, cheap to run 944 Spec car. A 944 Spec car ran the 25 hrs of Thunderhill with one change of tires and brakes, and no mechanical issues - equivalent to well over a season of racing. They didn't even add any oil! I'm having the time of my life racing in a great group of people, and spending less. 944 Spec's motto is "you may be out-driven, but never out-spent"

If 944's aren't your thing (but you should really try one ), then you might consider CMC, or one of the other Spec classes. HPDE & TT are fun, but racing's as fun as barrel of caffienated monkeys !

You can keep a 944 Spec car street legal, and race it. Like any dual-purpose car, it will be compromised in both roles - pretty stiff for the street, and heavy - it's be hard to meet min weight with lights, HVAC system, and windows in, though with careful donor car selection you could get close if you are light slowolpoop.

Keep in mind that as light as a spec car is, you could tow it with an average minivan if you got a light aluminum open trailer - could keep the whole setup under 3,500 lbs. So sell the truck and get a van or mid-size sports-ute, and have a nice combo daily driver and tow vehicle.

I tow my Spec car with a VW Eurovan - have any thousands of miles on this with no problems, and I stay well under my rated tow capacity. Wife uses it on days she needs to carpool the neighborhood kids - works out well.