Are JDM trannies legal in HC for H1?

apexinghonda

I read the rules. I did several searches on Honda tech. I still am not sure of the answer and need to buy a tranny. I am not a H1 competitor but my car is built up 97% H1 legal- 88 CRX Si B18c (hondata, toda cams, bigger injectors, aem fuel rail, etc.) I have a YS1 cable tranny "GSR" geared but want to look at a GSR or ITR tranny with the hydro conversion kit. I hear the input shaft is bigger, better synchros etc. In other words stouter. I read HC rule 16. something and it still is not clear. Can I put something like a JDM ITR tranny in my car and be H1 legal when I bite the bullet to go racing instead of DEs? Or does it have to be USDM. In the engine section it specifically mentions JDM is OK. I just put in a 8 point cage, supension and want to spend my $$ right on the tranny and not find myself outside the rules. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Barry H.

• Members

If it was made by Honda it is legal (JDM or US). However, you can't "make a transmission" by combining gears from one trans to the next {See 9.5 (d)} It had to be sold in that configuration.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see where in 9.5 that JDM transmissions are allowed. Where in 9.1.j it SPECIFICALLY says that JDM ECUs are allowed.

I would infer that where JDM is allowed, it would be specified???

If it was made by Honda it is legal (JDM or US). However, you can't "make a transmission" by combining gears from one trans to the next {See 9.5 (d)} It had to be sold in that configuration.

Why not? Where in the rules does it say you can't? Thats considered just as much a hybrid if OEM honda parts are used..

Maybe I missed something again..

Further reviewing of the rules, as written, shows that Grumpy (Jim) is actually correct.

Rule 9.5 states that the (paraphrase) tranny must be as built by Honda other than LSD, final drive & clutch/flywheel. It doesn't specify the use of a JDM tranny as legal. It isn't legal for regular classes (H2-H5).

Having said that, it was the intention of the rules committee, as evidence by Ryan F's post above, & my response here, that JDM tranny be allowed for H1 cars. We consider it a legal part, for H1, just as using JDM pistons for the build up of a H1 motor is legal.

Further reviewing of the rules, as written, shows that Grumpy (Jim) is actually correct.

Rule 9.5 states that the (paraphrase) tranny must be as built by Honda other than LSD, final drive & clutch/flywheel. It doesn't specify the use of a JDM tranny as legal. It isn't legal for regular classes (H2-H5).

Having said that, it was the intention of the rules committee, as evidence by Ryan F's post above, & my response here, that JDM tranny be allowed for H1 cars. We consider it a legal part, for H1, just as using JDM pistons for the build up of a H1 motor is legal.

I agree that JDM is legal in H1.