True alignment machine vs string method

vpnwiz

I want to do my own alignments this year. I can buy the hanger brackets for my Miata and all the alignment gauges to do the string alignment method for, let's say $500.

Or I could buy an older Hunter or Snap-On machine, with the wheel heads and everything ready to go for very close to the same money if not less.

Does it make any sense to go the machine route? The machine could only be used in my garage, but if I had the brackets I wouldn't be taking them to the track anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Patrick

A laser level, ruler, and some blocks of wood will accomplish the same for under $100.

...although you could make a few bucks on the side if you had a machine.

Matt, can you give a little more info on how you use the blocks of wood? I asume they are for picking up the outside rim. How did you attach them to the wheel?

I am now looking for the sale on the cheap Harbor Freight lasers 'cause this sounds so neat. My son has the expensive Al plates and I assume they could be adapted to the laser as well.

Thanks in advance . . .

I do aligments at home with a simple camber gauge, 4 jack stands and string.

It takes time to create for spots on ground and make sure they are level (usally they are not so you need "shims" ie thin wood plates to true up). Then you used the string and jack stands to create two parallel lines along the side of the car. Once done you take measrements from these reference lines. It takes time, but with care you can get a nice aligment this way. The machines are just faster.

Thanks to Joe, Matt and Josh (and to Patrick for the original post) for your helpful responses. It is just this type of sharing that makes NASA the best. I have run without an alignment all the way to the Nats (we just eyeballed it). It's now time to get more serious and you dudes are helping me take it to the next level.

It seems lately that people are using the forum for opinions and flaming, not useful info. You are bucking the trend and using NasaForums for its original intention.

Big Thanks

Maddog out

Collectively a few of us have camber caster gauge, toe plates, toe gauge and the string method that we use to make suspension changes at the track. Typically we use the tech shed at the either end of the day when it is clear.

This has been working for us for a while. Hope that helps.

As to an answer to the original post, if the price is the same and you only intend to use at home...I would suggest going for what ever solution will make alignments quick and simple.

Best of luck.

I think I've decided to go it on my own after reading this thread and doing some more reading online. I like the laser level idea and will probably use that instead of string. It's a much steeper learning curve but I guess should be pretty quick after I get the hang of it. Plus the last thing I need in my garage is another big cabinet.

Thanks for all the comments.

Patrick

Typically we use the tech shed at the either end of the day when it is clear.

This has been working for us for a while. Hope that helps.

Be careful, most tech shed floors are not perfectly level. Summit Point (not even close, has about a two inch drop from one end to the other)quickly comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...