Elliot Fisher at Mid Ohio (Panoz Series)

mansier

I just got word from Elliot Fisher (2003 OH/IN AI champ) that he was fastest in morning practice at the Mid Ohio Panoz GTS Pro race today (Friday)! When I hear updates I will post them, but for now the #71 Fisher car is out front.

LM

Results from Evening Practice:

Fisher was 5th in evening practice on the same tires. They are going for fresh Pirellis in the morning for Saturday qualifying. The race is Sunday at 5:00.

LM

Fisher qualified 4th in Panoz GTS evening Qualifying. The race is Sunday at 4:15.

LM

Also saw James Evans in Pro Miata (HC1 ECHC competitor) was doing well, and saw Keith Videtto's LG Motorsports Corvette.

Ran into our Chief of Timing and Scoring, Doug McCabe who was working for Woodhouse (Viper World Challenge Team) and Mark Luna who was working with LG. Good luck tomorrow guys! The World Challenge race starts at 10:10 (GT).

Well, Elliot got up to 4th overall, then fell victim to slow traffic just after the esses. He was bumped while passing a slower car, and landed in the kitty litter, ending his race. Minimal damage to the car, the driver is OK, but the 4th place turned into an unfortunate DNF. Still a good first outing for the NASA Midwest Road Racing Champ!

LM

Not sure how Evans or Videtto finished up. Anyone?

Videtto qualified 26th. He only had a couple laps out there. In the race he broke the tranny on the parade lap.

Kevin Chambers is also running a Corvette for LG motorsports. Kevin qualified 24th, had moved up to 16th and then spun the car off when a Porsche spun in front of him. He was running very consistent times and in my (humble) opinion doing a great job not only coming through the field, but recovering after the spin. He knocked the air box off the front and had to come back into the pits to get it tightened and then went out for a few laps for a good time.

Lou qualified 10th with a slipping clutch. After many hours of work preparing his car by the team, he went to the race with a positive attitude. He made his way through three people running into him, and his slight nudge, to get 5th. He was the only Privateer(non factory backed) in the top 5. It was impressive to see him pass the Caddy and then pull away. He was having a great race with Tommy Archer which unfortunately didin't get much television. He had a couple chances to get by Archer but would have had to use a little contact to do it and decided not to. Tommy actuallly came over to the pits and told Lou thanks for being a gentlemen and for one of his best races. I thought that was cool on both guys parts. The other reason I am impressed with this run is Lou lost most of his front splitter during the first lap. You can tell by tire temps and pressures the car was pushing like a John Deere tractor and he just kept on giving them hell.

I was able to see LM and Elliot. I was glad to do so particularly since I didn't get much time away from the team. It was good to see you guys. Elliots speed and success doesn't surprise me at all. He is an excellent racer and a gentlemen.

Chris Griswold from Ohio/Indiana AI/X was also there this weekend helping Adam Malmquist out in world challenge. Adam races with us in the Midwestern Council in a Corvette. He is normally very quick but was having mechanical problems and didn't fair well. He spun in the race but I didn't get a chance to ask why.

He is normally very quick but was having mechanical problems and didn't fair well. He spun in the race but I didn't get a chance to ask why.

In fact he is normally my main competition in Midwestern Council. He had a problem with his ABS that spun him early in the first lap. The yellow flag let him catch back up to the field. He was running good. Picked off 3 people, and was catching the next three. His mechanical trouble was going through the oil in turn one that the BMW left from his blowup. Going through the oil made him loose, and he snap spun into the tires on the inside of turn one. His car needs a lot of fiberglass panels, carbon fiber spliter & undertray, a mirror, door handle, a brake light, a front light, new intake tube, maybe a new transmission cooler, and some bumper repair. Suspension & rims seem okay, but need to be checked. All the damage looks mainly cosmetic, but on a Corvette that just means cubic $.

Damn those C5R corvettes in the ALMS series are fast ....

I'm sorry to hear that Adam has some money to spend, but am glad he is OK. It's funny how little you know from the pits. I didn't have on the scanner headset so I didn't hear what was going on with the whole race, just Kevin.

Yes those pesky C5-R's are fast. I am working deep in the pits on the cars and every time one goes by I can tell which car it is. They are beautiful sounding cars along with being quick as hell. Obie is the guy in charge of the pits at LG and he used to work for Pratt and Miller. He talked a little about their organization. It is just simply amazing.

F.Y.I. I saw more than a couple representatives from NASA at Mid-Ohio this weekend. Although it is a SCCA sanctioned event along with IMSA, is there any possibility that in future NASA could get a tent setup and do a little promoting? There were a lot of spectators there that could have been interested. A lot of people looking into the Mid-Ohio school anyway. Hey, someone should have sent me a hat to wear. When Kevin came in with the inlet tube problem, the cameras were pointed right at me in the pits. I probably got some TV time.

the cameras were pointed right at me in the pits. I probably got some TV time.

I heard that one of the cameras broke, I now understand why.

I'm sorry to hear that Adam has some money to spend,

His Dad took it pretty well. I am trying to get him to run a two car team

The cost for a booth was out of the budget for this year (not planned), but we will look at it for 2005. ALMS really brings in a huge crowd!

LM