HC rule for roll cage inspection?

Jeremy C.

• National Staff

The rules read like this.

A 3/16-inch inspection hole must be drilled in each of the required bars in a non-critical

area for the purpose of determining wall thickness.

Does this mean I have to drill a hole in every bar? What places do I need a hole so the thickness can be inspected?

I was thinking of not drilling any holes, and just bringing my drill with me to tech so I can put them in where they ask for them!

Are there specific spots I can take care of now?

Thanks...

I would contact the local regional office to get clarification on both of your questions.

Here are my opinions. Keep in mind that I am not a 'tech inspector'.

Typically, you will be required to have an inspection hole on the main hoop, a doorbar , a rear diagonal & the forward bar. This will vary by the inspector. They usually like the holes to be drilled prior to the car arriving for tech. Just call (your local tech station) ahead to ask where & what tubes.

My interp. of a 'marine case' is a enclosed (box w/lid) case with a vent to the outside of the passenger compartment.

• Members

If it is for the LA region, drill one in the vertical bar in the main hoop, the diagonal bar in the main hoop, a single door bar, and one of the rear kicker bars. That should do it. Make sure it is easy to fit a set of calibers in (not right up next to another bar welded to it) and no at a bend.

If it is for the LA region, drill one in the vertical bar in the main hoop, the diagonal bar in the main hoop, a single door bar, and one of the rear kicker bars. That should do it. Make sure it is easy to fit a set of calibers in (not right up next to another bar welded to it) and no at a bend.

ditto for ECHC