If the Road Runner had worn HANS

bbeasley

My first race weekend with HANS:

First some background. I read many of the posts, sometimes emotionally charged, on this and other forums about HNR. Based on this controversial Internet debate I came to the conclusion that if the Road Runner had worn a HANS he would have:

Missed a turn by spending to much time trying to find his mirrors (lack of head movement).

Crashed sideways into a canyon wall and injured his neck (lack of side impact protection and his belts slipped off).

Burned to death (unable to get out of car).

Been eaten by the Coyote after the HNR was removed (it didn't taste good).

His estate would be bankrupt (spent too much money on the device).

I then factored in my reality. I am racing NASA and a HNR is going to be part of my game from now on. With a positive attitude I bought a HANS (paid $900 what a sucker!).

Prior to attending my first race I completed several steps.

Installed the device without difficulty by reading the instructions several times. Snapped pictures of myself in the car to make sure the belts and straps looked correct. Practiced putting all my stuff on and taking it off until I had a system memorized.

Last weekend Jan 5th ( a perfect 70 degree day in South LA) was my first HNR weekend. I ran lapping all day Saturday and raced Sunday. My rule was I wear the HANS no matter what (June cometh). The HNR turned out to be a non issue. My visibility was not affected at all. My belts never slipped off not even during my 70 MPH spin. As for getting in and out, a 20# diet would help me way more than not having the HANS. On the price issue, I'm one of the many that gladly makes life style decisions to afford my drug of choice racing.

The Data:

2nd Gen RX7 with SpeedSource cage

Sparco Pro 2000 seat (the one for er.....uh...big boys).

Belts.... Not the HANS specific ones.

Helmet.... Bell full face

Head size... watermelon

Neck size.... tree trunk (can't/won't wear a tie)

Chin(s).... 3 (see note about getting out)

Help strapping in... none

Time to attach HANS... < 1 min. if I take my time, forever if I hurry

My conclusion: It's now part of racing and it's no big deal.

My belts never slipped off not even during my 70 MPH spin.
I personally think the belt slippage thing is overstated, but to clarify, there has never been any concern for slipping belts in anything but a big crash.

which is when you need them - that's kind of the point ...

Hubbard-Downing have been steadily working on improving the belt slippage issue, but I've never seen anything from them "admitting" that it is an issue - so all those early adopters may not know that there are improvements.

bruce

My belts never slipped off not even during my 70 MPH spin.
I personally think the belt slippage thing is overstated, but to clarify, there has never been any concern for slipping belts in anything but a big crash.

I agree that we need to adopt the attitude that it is apart of racing and to just accept it. The pioneers raced with out helmets or much of the safety gear we have grown to feel naked with out.

I must comment though....the Coyote is the one that is accident prone. The Road Runner never suffered from bad luck or worse.