Would this damage cause me to fail tech?

nismofly

I'm going to do everything I can to have it fixed before getting to the track, but just so I know for sure whether to not even bother looking into an event until its fixed, I figured I'd ask

So anyway...CCR says no excessive damage and passing 50/50, I haven't tried looking at it from 50/50 standpoint, but here's a pic of the damage, and this since has had much more duct tape applied and red electrical tape covering it, I can take an updated picture tomorrow if it would help.

IMG_2610.jpg

Nismo,

1. open the trunk, remove the tailight assembly

2.get a 2x4 about 2.5 ft. long.

3. select your 5lb sledge hammer.

4. Beat the crap out of the inner 1/4 panel to get it close

5.Take off the old duct tape

5 Buy new red duct tape or a can of HDepot 99 cent red

6. Spray the "new recontoured" surface.

Bingo you pass the 50/50 rule!

The amount of finesse you use with the sledge and 2x4 and whether you round the edges so you don't get the little pointy bumps from the wood corners makes all the difference in the world. These techniques are used in the world's best body shops. Don't be ascared.

MD out

Yeah I'll probably end up doing something to that extent if I need to, hopefully its fixed for real before track time rolls around though

thanks

Do what MadDog Mike says and if you still don't like the way it looks, stick a huge sticker over the repair. Motorcycle racers do this all the time.

Liquid, if you get this much damage on your car ontrack as a result of your driving, you will be in danger of being banned from the event, if not NASA proper depending on how it happened. Please read the HPDE rules http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html and the CCR http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf, so you can get a handle on the basic rules of HPDE and track events. If it wasn't your fault, more grace would be given.

Direct answer, if it happened in a race, you finish. If it happened in HPDE you must respond as a black flag incident, meaning you report to the grid marshall and have your car checked out. ANY car-car contact requires an incident report be made. If you're HPDE driving and you either lost control enough to hit something this hard (hopefully not another vehicle) or you ran into your tow vehicle, imho you're not NASA ready.

If the damage happened off track and wasn't some kindo craziness, they'd check out your car's safety and probably (depending on the region and the tech guys' flexibility), let you finish the day.

Thanks ExRacer. I saw a similar situation at Barber last Oct. but it was late Sunday and I'm sure the guy was ready to call it a day anyway. Besides, I think he was more worried about his new Porshe with damage than getting back on track. I was just curious what if that happened on Saturday.

Nismo,

1. open the trunk, remove the tailight assembly

2.get a 2x4 about 2.5 ft. long.

3. select your 5lb sledge hammer.

4. Beat the crap out of the inner 1/4 panel to get it close

5.Take off the old duct tape

5 Buy new red duct tape or a can of HDepot 99 cent red

6. Spray the "new recontoured" surface.

Bingo you pass the 50/50 rule!

The amount of finesse you use with the sledge and 2x4 and whether you round the edges so you don't get the little pointy bumps from the wood corners makes all the difference in the world. These techniques are used in the world's best body shops. Don't be ascared.

MD out

Couldn't have explained it better myself.

If you're HPDE driving and you either lost control enough to hit something this hard (hopefully not another vehicle) or you ran into your tow vehicle, imho you're not NASA ready.

I don't agree with that. The point of HPDE is to learn how to drive. Sometimes mistakes happen. It's unfair to judge someone's ability or character based on the outcome of one mistake/incident.

While I have seen some people that just shouldn't be on track (attitude, recklessness, whatever), the majority of incidents I've witnessed didn't happen in a completely brainless way.

I think that Exracer meant that if he was driving in HPDE and damaged his car like the picture shows, he may not be able to finish driving in the event because the officials may think he was unsafe to others on track. Obviously accidents happen, but I guarantee this guy would be talked to if this happened while at an event.

i've seen cars suffer far worse damage than that in HPDE, and return for the following session. (after a half hour session banging fenders out)

You've got to get back on the horse right ?

And once you've banged it up, you've got yourself a 'dedicated track car' whether you wanted one or not.

As long as the bumper cover is secure, I don't see why this would fail tech for HPDE in our region. If you do something like this DURING an event, you will have a long talk about what happened with the officials and depending on the outcome and the instructor input, whether you go back on track or park it will be determined then.

As long as the bumper cover is secure, I don't see why this would fail tech for HPDE in our region. If you do something like this DURING an event, you will have a long talk about what happened with the officials and depending on the outcome and the instructor input, whether you go back on track or park it will be determined then.

With "park it" as the starting point of the discussion.

6.9 Body Contact

Body contact cannot and WILL NOT be tolerated. Anyone involved in body contact must

report immediately to the head of pit lane. Harsh penalties will be imposed, including but

not limited to, permanent ejection from NASA.

Jim, I'm assuming that's specifically referring to car-to-car contact?

ANY contact to ANY thing is uncalled for and totally unnecessary in HPDE. In NASA-VA we follow the rule above. I'm sure other regions do the same. Mitigating circumstances are rare.

This is one of the main reasons I joined NASA vs. the other organisation. Safty is #1 priority.

I was first thinking a failier like a blown tire or a blown engine in front of you dumping oil causing you to spin, not careless driving, when I made the post.

I don't see why cosmetic damage would cause him to fail tech if it happened some place else. As long as bumper core is ok, I don't care about the cover as long as it wont come loose.

As for the car to car contact thing... The only case where a friend of mine was involved in car to car contact did not (i think) result in him being ejected from nasa. He didn't make it out to the next session due to the extent of the damage, but the car he hit did make it out the next day. And I'm SURE they fixed the victim car w/ a 2x4 and a sledge to hit the 50/50 rule.

• 3 weeks later...
what happened? Drifting practice gone bad?

haha Ive had several people ask me that, its actually real similar to what a lot of people get drifting, but I actually got it from somebody running a red light

of course most drifters with this kind of damage just bite the bullet and throw overfenders and spacers on, or buy new wheels to fit the overs, but Im personally not a big fan of spacers, and with 130 rwhp I dont need anywhere near the kind of tire you could fit on the wheels Id run without spacers