BMW E36 "NASA Spec3" class?

Scott G.

• Members

A guy in the Mid Atlantic forum says that this Spec3 class is coming in for '08. Don't see any other references to this anywhere. Baseless rumor?

• Members
Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19227

Lol. That's the thread where I first found this Spec3 business. It was here that I was trying to get confirmation or rebuttal. I figure that if it was for real in '08, we'd a known it a year ago and it would be in the CCR now. And if it was for real in '09 we'd be talking about it now. So the fact that (almost) no one is talking about it, tells me that it's gotta be a couple yrs out.

There's only so many racers. I figure that when we create more classes, we get some new cars into NASA, but other folks come from within NASA. And that makes the other NASA classes smaller. So it's hard to know when you have enough classes or too many. Certainly there are some current classes with small fields, so it's not like we've a long queue of folks fighting to get in.

I figure that if it was for real in '08, we'd a known it a year ago and it would be in the CCR now. And if it was for real in '09 we'd be talking about it now. So the fact that (almost) no one is talking about it, tells me that it's gotta be a couple yrs out.

Lots of people are talking about it and asking about it, particularly around here and on bimmerforums. The rules should be released in the first quarter of '08. Maybe even this month.

The class has been in the works since first quarter '07. One car is completed and has been extensively tested at VIR and Summit by a variety of drivers (including myself on the slow end of that spectrum, hahaha.) The second car is being caged right now and will be on track this spring at Mid-Atlantic NASA events. Spec3 is very real and you'll be hearing much more about it soon.

Jon