Heard a Rumor that someone (TC) replaced a 924 for 944

AZ Coupe Jason

Naw, I didn't replace "the convict car." I bought another 87 924S, and then I bought Tom's 87 944.

I'll be renting the spec cars out in an arrive and drive program, including my instruction. Jason, you could fly into Ontario airport, I'd pick you up and take you to Fontana. Strap you in one of my cars. I'd make you 8-10 seconds per lap quicker (ha!). Sunday afternoon, back on a 50 minute flight to PHX.

Or, fly into San Diego, race in Tijuana for the weekend, PARTY!, fly home.

I've already rented my car out 3 times. Are you ready? Want to do Willow Springs? It's FAST! Turn 9 is a decreasing radius at 100 mph

But, on a different note:

1. Tom Stone

2. Paul Bloomberg

3. Dennis Campbell

4. Bob Beck

5. Tyler Thompson (?)

6. Glenn Gormely (?)

7. Jason Boles (?)

Why does there seem to be an exodus of 944's from the PHX Group?

Tim Comeau

Comeau Racing Enterprises, Inc.

ASS!!! Yeah I was pretty slow at fontana!! I am not to the point of trusting my 944 yet!

And you might need to add me to that list.. I am and currently looking into doing a Honda Challenge 4 Car, but have not decided if I am going to replace the 944 or not!!

Jason

Tim,

Do you have the new owners for those cars?

I know

Paul's Car = Pete Yousko

Bob Beck Car = Bill Pennock

Tom Stone = Tim C (Rental) Still #15?

Dennis Campbell = ??

New owner and car number?

I want to update the list.

PS... I know why there is a Phoenix exodus...

Jason, I know you weren't up to full speed yet. Just kidding. See, that's the kind of razzing you'll miss if you join the Honda guys! I hope you'll stay in the class. I'd really like to see the new graphics on your car in person.

Joe, The # 28 car was sold to a former 914 driver named Bill Addy. He'll be keeping the number for now. Still dark blue. Now in the SoCal Group. No racing license yet.

Also, while I, as the SoCal Series Director, enjoy seeing our new drivers with "ready made" cars, I feel like we're depleting the originating group!

Maybe you guys need a few cheerleaders out there?

joe

I am interested to hear why you think people are leaving.. no ones ego is to big to hear it .. so shoot lets hear it!

Jason

They are all afraid of TIMMMYYY!!! Where you AZ guys can't handle loosing to the Timster we hear in So. Cal are striving and gearing up to give Timmeee the public spanking he so deserves. We're gunning for you. The first guy to beat Tim will have the "Official" title of "Timinator!!!"

We'll be back!! - (I've been watching our Gov's old movies)

Well Eric,

I have beaten Timmy...

4 Times at Willow, 4 Times at AMP, 2 Times at PIR

That is not it. As you well know Tim is not the problem.

Jason,

I really did not want to get into this in public forum... (and probably will reget it later... but... )

Here is my thinking.

Why are guys leaving 944-spec in Arizona?

Well firstly the number of 944 drivers in Az is actually increasing. However most are driving in the "other" Az 944 group. 944-spec has been dewinding due to what I consider is lack of support and promotion locally.

It seems to me that Tim is working his butt off trying to gather excitment for the class. Don't under estimate the need for promotion. He has worked on small things like door prizes and seems to actively champion 944-spec where ever he goes. He also a few strong followers Like Eric and Jeff who are tapping into the POC and PCA groups. Notably also there is a very solid NASA org there to hold the events and POC leadership folks are becoming more interested. Bottomline is there is driving force to keep the ball rolling.

In Az... Well It seems that there is none steering the ship. Who is in charge of 944-spec in Arizona? Who is fielding questions and promoting the series and group? Sure a few of us do a little here and there, but who is really steering the ship? Dan Webb seems to have backed away from us. One Example is the 944-spec website that still is not up. Ok the data is there, but the 944-spec domain is gone. Also the Loss of AMP is had a servere impact on NASA Az. A lot of events ran there and with its closure their scheule has taken a beating. That does have an impact on the ability to attract and keep drivers. Also impacting Az car count are few rules issues. While little has been proven a few drivers have been turned off by the situation. Also combined with all of that is the existance of the "other" 944 group. They have made some significant gains with alot of NEW folks. Seems to me that thay did that through promotion albeit in different from than Tim's. Also aiding there effort is recognition by other sacntioning bodies thus exposing the group to new a audience.

Something else to consider that that So cal group seems for the most part like one large group working mostly together. 944-spec in Az has always been much more divided. In contast the other 944 az group has the appearance of a large family.

So there you have it. You have group that has potential, but really no leadership. The lack of true leadership has allowed us to flounder when we needed support and let or even force guys to drift away.

I probably have said too much... but you asked for my opinions. I honestly don't thing anything I have said is really news to Az guys. It is just that I hate to say it. In fact I hate to say much that will make us look weak as there are lurkers around that probably using this forum to decide if they want to get in and a post like this could discourage them. However some times things just need to be said.

No sense in pretending the Emperor's new digs are cool when you see his junk flappnig in the breeze now is it...

I know you had beaten Tim but now he claims his car is setup (close to it anyway) and he claims to be backing off so he can have a fight with the guys catching him. (I think they're really catching him and he isn't backing off) My guess is we'll have some new people on top of the podium this year!! I hope to just continue to get some more track time and will be in the chase soon.

As for the AZ NASA thing I don't know what to say. There are alot of choices out there but we should still gather the troops and run here. We can still get Tim's dream of a 20 car starting field!! Come on lets do it for Timmee!! Maybe with a 20 car field TC won't even podium!!

Joe,

I have to tell you I 100% agree with you, as for 944 in AZ there is no leadership! There is spoty enforcement of the rules with the fear we might lose a driver, there has also been a group of people that have totaly disregarded the rules and push the envolpe with set up bring doubt into the enforcement of the rules. As for the other group, that runs a similar setup, there rules are far looser than ours, and the lack of Club (Porsche) Racing in AZ, local PCA only puts on one track event in AZ a year, and a few DE events at FB east (Not a race track). As for the track issue that is true, AMP closing has hurt "This years" event schedule.

I also think that the reliabilty of these cars is concern, and I agree with you Joe that its not like we all really get along or hang with each other were in SOcal they are very close (not spooning close) group, but for some reason our group of race has not really gel-ed all that great together! It sucks but it is true it seems that we have about 4 to 5 clicks of drivers.

So with that said and the fact that we are all on the same page who is a good neutral person that we could get to take on this group here? As Chas Werkin said this is ours series!! And we need to take control of it here and get this group fired up again, cause frankly we are not driving our cars and not recuirting other people into our series!

As always IMHO (In my humble opinion)

Jason

So with that said and the fact that we are all on the same page who is a good neutral person that we could get to take on this group here? As Chas Werkin said this is ours series!! And we need to take control of it here and get this group fired up again, cause frankly we are not driving our cars and not recuirting other people into our series!

As always IMHO (In my humble opinion)

Jason

I do agree that we need someone to step-up and drive this. Not really sure who.

Tim spoons and thats why we love him!! Get some guys together after the race for beers and share your knowledge with the newbies. I have learned so much and still have a way to go but not to swel Tim's head he is pretty free about giving hints to catch him. (passing we have to figure on our own!) He shows us the line and talks to us about how we're progressing and where we can improve. It's all about the love. As soon as my super secret NOS injected Turbo charged nitro burning engine mods are done you'll all be eating my dust. (Or smoke when the motor lets go). It's all about having good clean fun. (And then going to the strip bars!!)

What have I wrought?.................Eric and Dylan, go to your room!

Thanks for the nice comments you guys. I try hard to help other drivers because I know that will make it more fun for everyone. We all just want a good dice!

Joe, you only beat me at Willow because I only had half the suspension on the car. 4 times though, OUCH! We had some good racing though, huh? I was closer at AMP , but your car still handles better than mine, which really shows at a small track. I'm sure we'll have some more great racing. It'll be fun.

Regarding the 944-spec Group out in PHX. The web site has been down for a while. I've been referring newbies to your site, Joe.

Leadership? Or is it CHEER-Leadership that is needed? Yeah, someone needs to take the reigns and control the direction of the PHX group, at least until it gets going again. I thought Joe would be a good person to fill this roll.

One of the things I do with the new guys here is "get their mind right." I tell them right off the bat that if I catch them cheating, I'll either burn their car to the ground right in front of them.....or I'll take a SAWS- ALL and cut the car right in half! They chose! Seems to work pretty well.

To be fair, it isn't an easy job for most people to take on. You have to balance being a friendly helper with being an unyielding hard-ass.

"HERE'S THE GAME, HERE'S THE RULES. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY BY THE RULES, I'LL HELP YOU." I really try to help those who make my job easier.

I vote for Joe Paluch. He knows the rules, he's helpful, he has the proper class philosophy ingrained in him.

As far as the separate cliques in the PHX group go, I'm not sure. I AM sure that it's not healthy for the class out there. No communication leads to suspicion and then assumptions, then distrust. You follow me?

Get the guys together in the pits, get the guys together for door prizes, beer, awards, ANYTHING!

There have been mods done to some of the cars in the PHX group which, I believe, should have been addressed and ruled on immediately. At a 944-spec drivers meeting? It doesn't matter if they are ruled legal or illegal. What matters is that everyone knows everyone else is playing fair!

Then, and here's the most important part, PUT IT IN THE DANG RULES! It doesn't take a ton of time to update the rules.

Here are my words. Feel free to use them.

Class Purpose

The purpose of this Spec Class is to provide an inexpensive racing experience where the cars are reliable and performance potential is as even as possible. These rules are intended to control costs and remove any performance advantage from the cars so that driving ability and suspension set up are the greatest factors in determining race winners.

General Rules

All parts must be factory stock from one of the eligible year models, except where otherwise noted.

All parts may be updated or backdated, except where otherwise noted.

In general, modifications which improve aesthetics, access to systems, safety or reliability are allowed and encouraged provided they offer no performance advantage whatsoever.

That last paragraph would take care of Chas Wirken's Accusump, the painted intake manifolds, Jeff Grow's clutch bleeder line up in the engine compartment, Dave Marguglio's holes in the rear fenders for torsion bar replacement, etc.

But drivers HAVE to know what's been ruled legal and illegal, it has to be enforced, and it has to get into the rules. There goes the bad blood! Everybody's happy!

Anyway..............................chew on that for a while. The PHX Group will sort itself out when it's drivers are ready to have fun again, TOGETHER!

I think I missed Dave's holes in the fenders problem? I thought that was to be able to access/dial in torsion bars without dropping the whole rear end? Was this deemed illegal? I may be doing this soon so let me know otherwise I'll be using Joe P's proceedure. I may do that either way but I don't see why cutting holes in the fender for this is an issue. Maybe it was a conversation I missed but a search turned up nothing. I'm staying legal but don't want to stir things up.

Timmee can I come out of my room now? I need to earn a living!!

Tim - Can we install a hose from the roll cage and fill it with NOS and run it to the intake? (Did I say that out loud?)

yeah Ditto .. I did not realize there is a problem with cutting a hole for the T-bars. TImmie please check on this

Jason

Jason I don't remember a post about this so it may have been a conversation. I have seen cars with holes and some without. From what I understand is the hole is cut so you can slide the bars out through the fender and make changes. I can't imagine it's illegal but I want to make sure before I go this route. Joe P. has an excellent proceedure to do this and hopefully you'd only have to do it once but the thought occurred if you want to change t-bars for a given track then the holes would make it easy.

I looked in the search and we did talk about it but not about it being illegal. It was in reference to going with coil overs in the rear. I think the holes will be O.K.

Timmee???

Yeah, you can come out now. You're one of the good guys who makes my job easy. You're just a little, well, KINKY sometimes!

Also, I hope to have an answer for you soon regarding the headers, Eric.

The holes in the rear fenders are there to save tons of labor. They're a good idea, but that mod is not listed in the 944-spec rules and is therefore not legal. There is no performance gain, just money saved. I won't protest that mod, nor any others that improve the class without un-leveling the playing field. Make sense?

As SoCal Series Director, I'll take into account the "intent" of the rules during any protest, until we can get the NASA class rules updated.

Still at your service,