Honda S2000 powered Mazda Miata!

w650gb500

HPIM0641-1.jpg

For Sale: 1990 Mazda Miata w/Honda S2000 drivetrain

1990 Mazda Miata

- The original Torik Motorsports S2000 powered Miata. The first successful F20C transplant into a Miata chassis. The car was purchased as a daily driven street car and then transformed into a street/race/trackday weapon. All of the civilized creature comforts & street equipment was removed and replaced with only the items needed to make it run safely on the racetrack or on the street for those who dare. The great part about the car is that it will sit and idle all day long and if driven under 6000RPM, it is quite docile. Once the engine revs and the VTEC kicks-in at 6500RPM, it gets quite interesting. It is a fun car and a real sleeper both on the street and at the track. The rollcage and general preperation of the car were done with SCCA, NASA, EMRA and marque/club racing in mind. It will pass tech for any race organization just as it sits.

The following is a list of all modifications done to the car :

- 1990 chassis with no exterior body modifications. Fresh paint w/ghost flames.

- 2001 Honda S2000 F20C motor & 6-speed transmission

- Exedy lightweight steel flywheel <8#

- Hybrid wiring harness to connect S2000 motor & dash to stock Miata wiring

- Mazda 1.8 rear w/Torsen differential and 4.30 ring & pinion

- LS big brakes(2002 NC) w/Hawk pads front and rear & SS brake lines

- Team Dynamics Pro Race 2 15x7 wheels w/30mm offset

- Hankook Ventus 205/50R/15 C-50 tires

- MazdaSpeed Spec Miata full suspension kit w/spherical bearing end links

- Extensive rollcage constructed of 1.50"x0.125" DOM tubing to SCCA/NASA specs

- Aluminum dashboard w/S2000 gauge cluster

- Autometer liquid filled gauges(water temp, oil temp & oil pressure)

- Longacre switch panel(ignition, starter, lights and wipers)

- Master kill switch wired correctly and to SCCA/NASA specs

- Flyin’ Miata aluminum radiator(Ron Davis I believe)

- AutoMeter shift light with programmable pills(set to 8600 RPM)

- MiataCage.com splined/extended steering quick release

- UltraShield aluminum roadrace seat w/M&R driver restraints

- SCCA/NASA legal tow hooks front & rear

- Factory Mazda hardtop w/ Lexan rear window

- "Shorty" 4-into-1 header, 2-1/2" exhaust & Dynomax muffler

- Optima battery located in the trunk inside a "marine type" box

- Custom cold-air intake box w/vented lid(drivers side headlight location)

- Apexi VAFC mounted on dash

- Windshield wipers and lights still work(front running lights are headlights)

- The car weighs <2200# w/o driver. With a 200 driver it cross weights 50/50.

Pictures can be seen at http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/w650gb500/miata/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have countless hours transforming the car into what it is today and will be more than happy to answer any possible questions. The car can be seen by appointment in Pittston, Pa. I can be reached at (570)417-5567 from 9am to 9pm eastern time.

*** $13,000 Firm ***

Here are a few links to forum threads about this car:

http://www.clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115842&highlight=#115842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=239739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=240127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

*** Reduced Price ***

I will take $12,500 cash for the car as it sits, or I am willing to remove a few parts off of the car to reduce the price. I will remove the hardtop($1000), Spec Miata suspension package($1300 and will replace with stock pieces), aluminum radiator($300 and will replace with a like new stock unit) and the wheels($400 and will replace with stock steelies) and knock off $3000 to get it to $9500. These items I can use on a Spec Miata that I am building and the prospective owner can customize those parts to their liking and save some $$$.

I will also consider an interesting trade, so let me know what you've got(cars only as I have a boat, jetski's & motorcycles).

Thanks for looking,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Currently working to get the car correctly classed in PT. As of right now, Greg has basically put it into PT-B based on the info I gave him. I need to get the car on an improved dyno so we can figure power/weight #'s. I believe the car will end up in PT-C and be reasonably competative with others.

Will consider a partial trade for an inexpensive tow vehicle and/or trailer plus $$$. I just sold mine and need to replace it with something.

Anybody have an interesting trade? Hot rod, rat rod or another project????

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but I have not. I've been quite busy in the shop building a bunch cages and a new Spec Miata from a bare shell.

I contacted a shop about 2 hours away who not only does dyno tuning but is an Apexi dealer who is able to program the vafci. If things slow down in the next few weeks, I will have to get it done. They are actually anxious to see the car and the conversion, so I just need some spare time. I'll let you know.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Dan, I'm not in the market for another car, but I think it would help if you listed lap times. People on this forum are probably very interested in that. Good luck with the sale. Beautiful car!

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as pathetic as it sounds, I've never had it on track. Seriously, it has been driven approx 200 miles since I finished it. All it does is sit in the corner of the shop covered up and I occasionally uncover it when people ask "what's under there".

I get my ass busted all the time for not using it and I know that I am guilty. Unfortunately my time at the track is taken up wrenching on customers cars at SCCA Nationals, so there isn't a class to run the car even if I took it with us. Since it's a regional only class car(SPU), I would have to spend even more weekends at the track and she would have a fit if I did. I am trying to keep the peace and only spend certain weekends at the track, so I'd rather make $$$ supporting customers than spend $$$ racing myself.

Knowing how it goes in a straight line and assumming how it would handle due to all the same Spec Miata stuff, it should be a very quick car. I won't even guess at lap times, sorry, I'm not going to put something out there that I can't substantiate/prove.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sold. THe car has found a new home in Gainsville FL where it will be run with NASA and a few other marques groupes.

Good luck with the new car Grant.

• 2 months later...

Kind of late with the feedback, but I thought I'd say that getting this car from Dan is probably the best buying experience I've had. Not that sorting the car has been easy, but Dan has provided great advice and support.

I hope to run the car in PTA/TTA, and maybe TTS/ST2 later on down the line.