Broken valve spring- replace them all?

Tom #16

I had an off this weekend and afterwards the engine didn't idle right and was down on power. I removed the cam and head tonight. The intake valve spring on the #1 cylinder was broken. All the valves appear to be okay.

Should I replace them all or just the one? The place I usually buy stuff from wants about $70 per valve, so $560 for the whole engine!

This engine was suppose to have been overhauled fairly recently. I thought valve springs breaking usually happened with very high lift cams (yes, my cam is stock). However, when I bought the car it did have a performance cam in it. Perhaps that contributed?

I had 1 broken spring when I pulled my engine down. Bought a pair (small and large spring) on Ebay for $40. I think I have a credit with the same place if you want to buy 4 sets (if they have them). My engine runs fine, bar the electrical gremlin. So, can't say, replace 1 or all 4 (sets)?

P.Dilly.

It depends on $$. If you have it replace them all and have the head checked out. Plus shop around and I'm sure you can find springs cheaped than $50.

My advice is to shop around find the cheapest you can. Then replace the one valve spring and the lifter where it failed. I have not heard of too many valve springs failing so your's might be an isolated case or due to a weak lifter.