Embroidery on race suit

RSCoupe

I want to get some embroidery done on my race suit, but have some concerns:

- Sparco says that any embroidery needs to be done in the outside lay only (mine is a 3 layer suit). Taking the suit apart to embroider the outside layer would be a major undertaking, and not something I really want to do.

- Thread needs to be Nomex. Unfortunately colors in Nomex thread are limited. I need black, which is available, and red and yellow/gold, which is not.

So what I'm asking is; what have others done for embroidery, and how did you attach any patches, etc.?

TIA

I had very similar questions last year. A fellow from IO Port who is a tech inspector said just to sew through all the layers for the patches. Cotton would work, he said.

Embroidery is a different matter. My sister has a computer embroidery machine. She looked at my Sparco Suit and cringed. You see, the embroidery is usually done on blank cloth before being quilted and sewn into a suit. While my sister can get colored nomex thread for embroidery, she couldn't see tearing apart all the seams to do it. Instead she embroidered my name on the belt and it looks very nice. She just used regular thread since the belt isn't important to fire resistance. An applique might be the best choice for a big graphic.

http://www.stand21.fr/video/video_stand21.html

The above link has videos of the embroidery process at the Stand 21 factory. Interesting videos.

• 3 weeks later...

if you can wait, the best bet is to just have the embroidery done by the manufactuer (sparco, etc) when you order it. That way it will be embroidered on the outer layer.

I personally just had it embroidered through all the layers on all my racing suits... That's the way most drivers have it done.

Robbie