Which car to start with, Civic or CRX ?

autofile

Hi im new to Nasa and the HC but I am considering joining. my question is what car should i buy 92-95 civic hatch or 2nd gen crx. also if the crx should i get the si or the hf and why. Im probably going to start of in H5 and move my way up. also please keep in mind that ill be driving the car to the events so it has to be street legal.

P.S. I live in socal.

Staritng in one class and moving up is not easy. There is a body swap provision in the HC rules which could allow you to start with an H5 equipped car and reconfigure it for H4.

For instance you could start with a 92 Civic CX and after a year convert it to SI ppecs and run H4 but you would have to go all the way converting brakes, changing fuel tank etc. It is a pain in the ass and will cost more money than it is worth.

If you want either of these cars you should begin in the class you will be racing in and not worry about moving up.

The CRX Si and Civic Si are good cars for H4. The CRX is well sorted and you can probably get a good set-up from one of the many drivers that have been developing the car for years. The Civic SI (what I drive) is good as well but there are not that many drivers using it so it might take more to find a competitive set-up.

The 2nd generation is also very good and seems to be what a lot of SCCA ITA (H4 equivalent) drivers are going to. It makes alot of power but is heavier. In the end all are competitive as each type has one at least one race this year on the West Coast.

Street legal is tough for a race car. You generally have to compromise with set-up and engine performance so you may not be as competitive as you could be by trailering your car to the track.

You should really go to a race and see what it is all about. The HC races this weekend at Willow Springs. most drivers are more than willing to talk about their cars and you will get a better idea of what you are planning on getting into.

Thanks for the help. I think im going to run a crx in h4 can you help me with choosing hf or si. i know that the si has the sun roof but the hf has drum rear brakes.

Will you be driving your race car to the event because it is your daily transportation or because you have no trailer or both?

Get the Si. Remove the sunroof. This is legal per the rules.

Or buy the 'roof panel' from a different model.

Or buy a HF chassis & swap everything over per the chassis swap rule mentioned above. Note that a chassis swap means that everything is suppose to be switched over. In other words, you don't get to pick & choose.

If you are thinking about running in SCCA club racing as well, go with the Si, the HF would not be legal in ITA with Si components.

• 2 months later...