New to AI

Paulk Racing

Hello,

I am soon going to start building a Mustang for AI. I have a '84 GT that already has a 10pt mild steel cage and through floorpan subframe connectors. It was going to be used for drag racing but I ended up using another car. I would like to go with a carb. The questions I have are...

1. Which intake to use?

2. How big of a carb?

3. How big of a cam?

I know I need aluminum heads, which ones do y'all prefer. I have a limited budget. I was thinking of using Edelbrock heads, Performer RPM Air Gag, F-303 cam, and 650 Race Demon. Do I need full length headers?The shortblock will be a 311ci w/ Ross Lightweight pistons, Eagle I-beam rods and stock lightened crank. Is that enough? Also what is a good rearend gear to start with? Majority of my questions deal with the drivetrain. I have pretty good idea about the suspension. I was thinking of using all Maximum Motorsports stuff, starting with just springs, shocks and a panhard bar at first, then moving on to the more advanced stuff. Any other suggestions? Also how big of a brake system do I need? This project will more than likely will not be finished until late next year.

Thanks for any input.

Jonathan Paulk

If that "mild steel cage" isn't DOM tube, it isn't legal (unless the car already has a tech logbook from an accepted race organization).

First thing to do is download the AI rules and CCR and read them several times. Second thing is to come out to Summit Point this weekend and talk to the racers, eyeball the cars. You'll find the AI folks to be friendly and eager to help you out. I'm sure you'll make new friends Saturday night.

Since you asked what heads are "preferred", I'll just say AFRs are the best bang for the buck and well worth the slight extra cost over E-boks, etc. - IMO.

BTW, you don't "need" aluminum heads, or for that matter anything more than a stock motor to race. If you want to be right against the AI power-weight limit in a Mustang you'll certainly need some engine mods, but if you're on a tight budget why not get the required things to pass tech and get racing, then decide where you need the motor to be in the power, torque, and reliability spectrum. If you have little road course experience you'll surely improve your competitiveness with each race through setup improvements and - most of all - driver improvement. Then by the time you do build that perfect motor you'll be in a much better position to spend your money wisely - and get the results you expect.

Thanks for the info. How do you tell if it is DOM? Are you going to Summit Point? Also, what is the schedule for the AI class this weekend? I can not find it on any of the websites.

Jonathan

The rules require inspection holes drilled in all required bars. This allows the thickness to be checked, plus a wire (paper clip) is inserted in the hole and rotated around the inside of the tube. If it's not DOM it will have a distinct raised area at the seam that the wire will catch on.

If the cage was intended for NHRA it's probably not DOM. DOM is an extra cost option on most cages/kits I've seen advertised except those sold specifically for road racing in the last year or so (when the rule went into effect). Cars with a logbook prior to 2003 are grandfathered in.

Yes, I'll be at Summit Point this weekend, instructing the FATT on Friday and the NASA HPDE Sat/Sun. I'll be bringing my grey '88 LX coupe, #x2. Stop by and say hello. Another instructor will be there with me, he's been building a '66 AI Mustang this year so he's been studying the rules very carefully. We'll be glad to talk car prep until you run away screaming. If you're new to road course driving I can probably work you in as a passenger during one of my sessions if you'd like.

The event schedule for NASA events is available at the track. Sometimes it changes at the last minute. Race groups have morning practice, mid-day qualifying and afternoon race. Since the HyperFest spectator crowd will be there be sure to start any conversation with AI racers during the day with "I'm building an AI car ..."

See you at the track.