Racing Seats - Pros & Cons of High Side Containment, HANS

opus

Hi, I plan on doing some HPDE this year. I don't ever plan on actual racing, but do like something that would provide some safety. Questions:

Aside from price, what are the pros and cons of a seat with high side containment like this...

http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Seats/brand/Cobra/prodID/1734

versus one like this...

http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Seats/brand/Sparco/prodID/1348

Also, should I get one with HANS compatibility or one without? Should I get the lower price seat now and upgrade in the future or is it worth it to go all out now rather than later?

Let me hear your thoughts. BTW, the car is a 1996 Mazda Miata.

I don't ever plan on actual racing

Heard that before

I'd stay away from the second seat--tubular steel construction is not a real race seat.

It's easier and cheaper to do it right the first time.

Good luck!

Tubular is typically not recommended because they do more damage to your body in an accident since most of the forces are places on a more focused place. I know I daily drove a Sparco Speed for about a week, which fit me at the butt/waist but was too tight up top. I wound up with deep bruises just from my daily commute (30 minute drive each way)

The easiest way to explain it though is basically the difference between being hit with a stick vs. an open hand. The fiberglass/carbon composite seat allows the impact to be spread over your whole body rather than the locations where the tubes run on the seat.

Ahh, I see. As far as strength is concerned are they comparable? I would think someone's body would break long before the seat, but what about other forces?

Are there any hybrid types? Like, planar frames reinforced by a tubular frame?

Sorry, but I have very little experience with racing seats.

-Phillip

Probably the side containment seats are going to be the seat to have. I don't have one. I use the Sparco Pro2000. I drove my car to the local (3 hour one way) race shop and chose my seat. Sit in the seat to see if it fits you then put it in the car to see if it fits. Not a perfect system, but it worked for me. I had the interior out of the car and it was easy to take the existing seat out and trial fit the race seat. Call your supplier and see what seats they have in stock and what they recommend.

Tony

• Members

I have a pair of black leather Corbeau sport seats that need to get sold. They are that are perfect for a DE oriented Miata because the seats are relatively narrow. They pivot forward for access to the rear, which is the beauty of non-race seats. I agree that race seats are better on the track, but most DE cars are primarily street cars so rigid and deep race seats are unworkable.

The seats have shoulder and anti-sub holes for a 5 or 6pt harness.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, it'd be awesome if somebody got punchy and posted a thread about choosing the right seat. Perhaps...even a list of seats that mount easily into say...I dunno, a '95 Mustang GT maybe?

I'm in the same seat-decision boat. I'd already made the cheap-route mistake with my last car and I intend on not having a repeat of that. Having said that, it's a daily driven car and I'm not a small man. Nor do I have $800 to blow on a seat.

Rook what was the cheap seat you bought that was a mistake?? Is the mustang a DE car or a future CMC car?? and no offense but how big are we talking? Its kind pricy but the sparco evo is a very nice seat and comes in a varity of sizes. Also the corbeau FX1 is a nice seat for budget shopper but it is not FIA approved so not great for racing.

The mistake seat was the Summit Racing seat. Sure it was pretty comfortable (couple trips up to NYC from NC say yes), and it was fairly supportive....but the build quality was lacking, and mounting it was a carpet hacking nightmare. The Mustang will always be daily driven so primarily it's a DE car, but I do have intentions of a 5-point harness and roll bar, if not cage, as I intend to do away with the airbag-equipped steering wheel. Furthest I'd probably take it, as far as competition would be Time Trials and Open Road Races. Maybe even Targa Newfoundland one day. Who ever really knows?

I'm not "huge", but at just over 6 feet and 210-230 pounds I'm very much not tiny. 36"ish waist but my hips do come out a bit.