Tire question Kumhos?????

FandangoDrew

The problem I've been encountering with ALL of the tire contingency programs is product availability. Last year, no Kumhos were available in my size for the second half of the season. This year, no Hankooks or BFGs are available in my size. Tough to get anything out of the rewards program if there aren't any tires to buy!

but are they as fast as the hoosers?

you're asking the wrong question...there are other choices out there worthy of serious consideration, some with contingencies...

The Kumho V710s are equally quick as the Hoosiers (based on my setup and lap times) and have proved very competitive. I have not run Hankooks but have been beat by them - however, I don't feel it was a deficency in the Kumhos.

-Sean Tillinghast

Edited by Guest

For me they were about 1 sec per lap slower. Main issue I think was the rounded shoulders of the tire carcass compared to the Hoosiers. When you compare the actual contact patch of the Kumhos vs. Hoosiers a, a 245 width Kumho had the same patch as a 275 Kumho.

So I couldn't fit the equivalent Kumho contact patch under my car.

Curious to hear how you addressed the stiffer sidewalls.

The problem I've been encountering with ALL of the tire contingency programs is product availability. Last year, no Kumhos were available in my size for the second half of the season. This year, no Hankooks or BFGs are available in my size. Tough to get anything out of the rewards program if there aren't any tires to buy!

I don't think there will be that problem with the Hoosiers.......

Phil

I ran Kumhos and Hoosiers on my 911. Didn't have to change set-up and tire times very comparable. I can swap Kumho and Hoosier and back with no issue. HOWEVER, NEVER mix the 2!! Looks like to R6's last longer that the R5's did.

I ran the Kumho contingency last year and had no issue getting my size. I run 245/45/17 and 275/75/17 . I made sure I ordered well ahead, but usually got the tires within 2 days! Kumho contigency worked great for me!!

I'm in the SE, so I used Tire Rack.

I think it's great these tire company's are supporting us. Thanks to all!!

I ran the Kumho contingency last year and had no issue getting my size. I run 245/45/17. I made sure I ordered well ahead, but usually got the tires within 2 days! Kumho contigency worked great for me!!

Ditto for me. I used Tire Rack as well. Already up $500 after the VIR weekend in 08

• 2 weeks later...