Wheel Spacer Question.....

crazy_ugly_coyote

There are other many things to take into consideration with shuch a general question.

Such as will you need longer lug studs. Sometimes with spacers even as small as 3mm the lug nuts (or bolts for the BMW crowd) do not spin through enough threads on the studs. True, you may be able to torque the nuts to spec but getting only 2 or three threads worth of bite is not safe. I believe the accepted safety limit is at least as much bite on the stud as the stud has diameter.

Also will 3-5mm work and give you enough room. Tire width can differ between manufacturers. Plus the width of the wheel you are putting the tires on will also affect the section width of the tires. For example take a 245/40R17. The Kumho V700 has a section width of 9.9" and the Yokomama A048 is 9.8" and both are measured on an 8.5" wheel.

If you are putting spacers on the front, will moving the wheel out further cause any issues with the tire rubbing the front or back of the fender well when turning. Also, is the aspect ratio going to make the tire taller, contributing more to the possibility of wheel well rub. If putting them on the rear will the extra length cause the fender lip to rest on the tire when under hard cornering. Having your fender lip slice open a sidewall when at speed is generally a bad thing.

I believe the accepted safety limit is at least as much bite on the stud as the stud has diameter.

According to Engineer to Win, minimum thread engagement should be fastener diameter + 1 thread and a safe number is 1.5x fastener diameter. I'm not an engineer, so I rely on the people who are.

What is the car? For track duty I would use billiet spacers that have studs already in them and they bolt to your hub than the wheel bolts to them. That way you will not stress the longer studs that could fail. That is what I run.

What is the car? For track duty I would use billiet spacers that have studs already in them and they bolt to your hub than the wheel bolts to them. That way you will not stress the longer studs that could fail. That is what I run.
So you would rather have 8 or 10 points of failure instead of 4 or 5? New wheels with proper offset is the best choice. Longer studs is second best. Adapter/spacers are far from ideal.

If I slapped on a set of 3mm or 5mm hubcentric wheel spacers could I run wider tires? I wanna run 245's but they will rub on my car.

First, this is way too general a question for anyone to answer.

Many cars currently in competition are using spacers. There are many options for doing this successfully.

As to tire rub, perhaps you shouldnt be running a 245 tire? Often times the larger tire causes more problems then benefits. Using better rubber in the proper over size might be a better choice.

Have you looked into different off set wheels? That is what I have done on my car.

have you rolled your fender lips? Again, this is what I have done to my car.

Best of luck.

quote] So you would rather have 8 or 10 points of failure instead of 4 or 5? New wheels with proper offset is the best choice. Longer studs is second best. Adapter/spacers are far from ideal.

Not at all........ but as far as stress on a longer stud it is better to run a spacer with studs because a longer stud would fail quicker than a shorter one .......... This is what I have been told by racers and instructors who asked this before getting in my car and taking it out on track any one?.............. But that being said no spacers would be my choice but the wheels I am running req spacers.

what I am using:

http://www.skulte.com/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/55

Not at all........ but as far as stress on a longer stud it is better to run a spacer with studs because a longer stud would fail quicker than a shorter one .......... This is what I have been told by racers and instructors who asked this before getting in my car and taking it out on track any one?.............. But that being said no spacers would be my choice but the wheels I am running req spacers.
Porsche and BMW Motorsports go with the longer studs on all but the most extreme spacers. My car came from the factory with 21mm spacers.

Wait, you are already going to use some 2" wheel adapters made for you by Andris Skulte? Then why do you need even more spacers? Like a neanderthal with an abacus, I am confused. Are we talking about two different vehicles now?

I think we may be talking about two diff people and cars. I just posted the spacers that I use which I have been told is better the running longer studs but I only use one set I don't know where you read that I needed more spacers....

Sorry I am old and get easily confused. I've been considering having Skulte make some wheel adapters so I can get wider meat under the War Goat. Just have to take care of fender clearance first and do some test fitting to be sure I have the proper clearance.

No Problem, have you been to any track days at Summit Point? saw a Goat like yours there last year.

Never been to Summit Point. What few track days I've done have all been at Virginia International Raceway. It would be nice to see another goat on course.

Formula 87. I ran this rat GTA to the National Championship in 06. Do you have pics of your car? I looked at trying to use Skulte spacers or swap meet units to mount up Corvette take-offs to get more rubber on the rear of the TANK, but it required hacking the wells and more points in PT. So another part on the shelf. May yet do it to put 315+ meat on the rear. The whole deal could have been done neatly with CCW custom wheels but that kinda $ ain't in my budget.

Just love to see another P-car on the track. We have a coupla CMC Pontiacs and one AI out here in So-Cal.

Keepin' the dream alive . . .

MD outindex.php?categoryid=17&p17_sectionid=4[attachment=0]CUMagicMtn.jpg[/attachment]

Exracer, I use the 2" billet spacers all around and I can run most vette wheels and currently run 17/9.5 wheels off my 2000 SS with a 275-40-17 tire which is the most tire you can put under an AI car and with the spacers the width is about 1/4"-1/8" under the max you can have. I did have to play around with the spacers and first time out I got 1.5" which had a prob with the new spindles and baer brakes up front so Andris told me just to send them back and he sent me 2" back and I don't think he charged me for the upgrade. Anyway so far they work great.

For Pics http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/formula87/RANDYS%20CAR%20PICS%20AND%20VIDS/"

Orkboyz, I have been to VIR twice wish it's been more. Awesome track. first time I went was 2001 w/ GMHTP I think had been open for about 6-8mos.

Randy, real nice work . . .! Makes me want to spend more time on the TANK and tighten her up a little. But I'm cheap and stay too scattered lately. Also workin' on getting the 944 presentable for California Speedway in 2 weeks. Whooyaaa!

Thanks for the link and feedback.

MD out

Thanks, there is a lot I would've done diff now that I have been on track a few times

but that is part of the fun of all of this............. Don't worry i am cheap too just had the car the cash and the time all happen at once so I did it. I would probably pic up a used Grand Am cup F body If I was to do it all over again. An instructor I had picked one up cheap and it was a pretty well sorted out race car w/spares.

Alright Ive got a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse. My street wheels have an offset of +40, and they need to by +36 in order to clear a brake setup Im installing. My track wheels are Kosei k1 17x7 and I think the off set on those is +38. Can I put longer wheel studs and a spacer to make everything happy?