My name is Scott and I have a drinking problem

Scott G.

• Members

So how do I take a drink on the track? It would be nice, in the blazing summer heat, to be able to sip on some icewater while waiting in the false grid.

I have a coolshirt, but that's kinda the heavy artillery. What is the logical way to set up a helmet such that you can take a drink? Are their helmets with drinking holes? Maybe you can drill a hole in the front of your helmet?

So how do I take a drink on the track? It would be nice, in the blazing summer heat, to be able to sip on some icewater while waiting in the false grid.

I have a coolshirt, but that's kinda the heavy artillery. What is the logical way to set up a helmet such that you can take a drink? Are their helmets with drinking holes? Maybe you can drill a hole in the front of your helmet?

Use a Camelbak system, and drill a hole through your helmet, in front of your mouth. You can get drybreak connectors for these as well.

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/products/sfID2/Driver+Cooling/sfID1/Racing+Gear/manufacturerID/92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just add the beer-helmet and drink tube option tube to this setup.

Hs.jpg

Or just freak everyone out and use a helm from the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

_44229147_helmet_pa300b.jpg

• Members
Just add the beer-helmet and drink tube option tube to this setup.

A Beer Helmet. Hmm , ya, I just move the inspection sticker to the beer helmet......But why stop there......"Gee, Mr. Inspector, I don't know how beer got in my coolshirt cooler."

• Members
Beer is part of the bread and cereal food group and thus you should have several portions of it a day.

The Germans have an apt saying: "Brot im einem Flasche". I hope I got that right. It means "bread in a bottle".

Always liked those Germans.

Does anyone know if drilling a drinking hole in the helment voids its SA9999 rating???

The below website explains all. All the test standards are published there.

http://www.smf.org

Below are my opinions and have no bearing on anything.

OK. The hole would be out of the critical brain bucket area, just like the Hans anchors. However, it could never be so simple.

sa2005fig2_40.gif

The SA 2005 document states, " The Foundation recommends that helmet owners not modify or contract someone else to modify their helmets. Any structural modification may adversely affect a helmet's protective capability. The Foundation’s certification and, quite likely, all manufacturer warranties apply to the headgear only in its as manufactured condition."

There is a test for the chin bar -E5 in the document. It only applies to Full Face lids.

I would think the rating would become no worse than the open face equivalent?? If you enlarged an already present vent hole to put the tube through...

Dunno, I am still partial to duct taping of beer cans to the side of the helmet and using a sillystraw. Besides, aluminum cans would provide extra crumple zone protection.

Yeah, that sounds like a good justification.

• Members

Was on the track Fri-Sun and got to thinking about this. Seems to me like there's enough room in the helmet for me to stick a camelbak tube up. Might have to rig something up to make it stay in place tho. But this certainly needs to be tried before I start drilling holes. Thanks for the ideas guys.

• 2 months later...

Hmm..okay speaking slightly out of place as this is only based on what I like to do with a ruck sack on..

I'd try to secure the Camelback to the back of your seat so it doesn't interfere with position (duh, right?). Depending on the relation of your height to the holes for the harness, you might be able to run the tubing through there and run it through a rubber band or something on your shoulder strap. This would keep it in a generally good area from which to access it, should it fall out of your mouth/helmet. Run to a hardware store and aquire the necessary fittings and hose to lengthen the drinking tube and you should be good...in theory, anyway.

• 1 month later...

Just had a read through this, some thoughts:

At your local hobby shop, you can get plastic tubing in varous sizes, I've seen fron 1/8" up to 3/8". Back in highschool, I used this stuff to customize model kits, just heat it over a candle and bend it.

This stuff could easily be used for plumbing your helmet without drilling through it. It's also a hard line, so it wont be flopping around. You can bring it in striaght up and between your chin and padding, turn it a sharp 90° toward your mouth, and form it to whatever nozzle shape you want. IIRC it comes in 8" lengths and is dirt cheap, easy to work and experiment with. Heat and flare one end, and slip your camelback tube over it and clamp it down.