Lotus 7 clones

98blackrt

What is the rule regarding Lotus 7 clones -

If I were to make my own chassis, how do I go about getting it classified? Is it classified as a Lotus 7 clone and then classed based on the Power/Weight ratio + modifiers? Or is this not allowed at all - chassis must come from a vendor ?

If I were to run a car that is already approved, for example the Brunton Stalker - Can I make modifications to it or re-power it, obviously taking into account any modification points and have it still be considered a Brunton Stalker or does it have to be built exactly to his specification? (Just using this as an example)

Thanks

• Members

We have a few Lotus 7 clones in the SE region, and they are in ST or SU depending on power to weight ratio. The Brunton Stalker is a popular one in the SE and FL regions as well.

• 1 month later...

Jim, I don't think you really answered the question (or at least not definatively).

I think what he is asking is, the rules specificly spell out that the Lotus 7, Caterham 7, and Brunton Stalker are allowed. It does not mention generic 7 clones, Locosts, or custom 7 inspired chassis, etc. Remeber that 7's can vary a good bit in design and dimentions (example being your V8 powered 7). Are these other 7's legal?

I think the policy has been they are essentially similar, and with very few limits on modificiation, you could essentially start with a real Lotus and end up with some type of high end custom, thus whether the frame started as a Lotus, Caterham, Locost, or custom design doesn't matter given the main limitation is power to weight. The whole "Aero 7" subset already implies a significantly altered car.

So while they have been generally allowed, they sort of fall into a grey area of the rules. Maybe "clones" as a category should be specificly recognized (maybe for Cobra's as well)?

• Members

My v8 powered 7 clone falls into SU, it would be hard to find a vehicle that didn't fit the SU rules. In the SE we normally classify all 7's as production cars as long as the chassis closes resembles the Lotus/Caterham/Stalker platform. We'd be hard pressed to be able to determine which '7's were "real" and which were clones

anything goes in SU obviously...

I'm pretty sure Greg goes by the "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck" principle when it comes to classifying Lotus7 style tube-frame cars, meaning they're ST1/2 legal and can do whatever engine they want as long as they don't dyno higher than thier maximum for whichever ST division they choose

Jim - depending on your dyno, weight, and tire choice we can slot you into ST to play with Jody, etc. It'd be one more entry to help them with contingency stuff because we all know you'll be behind them anyway

Thanks, I don't know about 98blackrt, but this makes me feel more secure. As after my Barber incident, I plan to redo the frame from scratch, so it will no longer be a standard Locost.

• National Staff
Thanks, I don't know about 98blackrt, but this makes me feel more secure. As after my Barber incident, I plan to redo the frame from scratch, so it will no longer be a standard Locost.

Yes, but will it still quack?

Well, I was considering making it a "'Lotus 7' [ish] with aero mods", so while it should still quack, it may not look like your average duck anymore.

Actually, it will be rotary powered (keeping the same driveline), so it is more like quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - ck (upshift & backfire), quaaaaaaaaaaaa.

• National Staff

I'm not concerned about the motor type, but if you get too far away from the basic frame and chassis design of the 7's, you are just building a custom tube-frame sports racer---Super Unlimited regardless of the power output.

Is a Caterham CSR legal? Caterhams 7 are listed as legal, and the CSR had its frame and suspension designed by Multimatic, the race car designers.

A standard Locost is 3" wider and 5" longer than a Series 2 Lotus or the early Caterhams. I think there are currently 3 or 4 significant Caterham variations, each with different frames/suspensions. Off the shelf "Locosts" are available in Book, new Book (Gibb +2 width, IRS), McSorley +4 (width), McSorley 442 (+4 width, + 4 length, + 2 height) variations. Can you reinforce the frame? Many 7's I know of add some extra frame members to improve stiffness. Aren't the "stock tub" guys allowed to reinforce (frame connectors) and lighten their bodies, change/modify their suspension arms and mounts (and thus their geometry). How is this essentially different than designing a stronger frame or better suspension to begin with (from scratch)? Essentially, you can maybe do a better job of optimizing/minimizing the weight. But weight is already controlled through the power to weight equivalency (and extra light cars have an extra adjustment factor already). So as long as it is a steel tube frame (nothing exotic), basicly 7 shaped, with everything in the same vicinity as in a Lotus, Caterham, or Stalker is that enough? If not what are the limits?

Now if the concern is because of potential aero mods I may make as part of the "7 with aero mods" category. There are NO LIMITS on the aero for any vehicle but the 7. "With aero mods" isn't very specific or have any defined limitations (and has a built-in hp/wt penalty). So I should think, anything that is recognizable as a 7 should be OK. FYI - my intension is to have aero meeting the SCCA Solo D Modified rule clarification in the Feb '08 Fastrack. A somewhat more conservative version of the Black Brick

FullaeroBlackbrick2.jpg

or this

Aero89DM.jpg

Note - the shovel noses on these cars would not be legal under the DM rules, so imagine a blunt airdam instead.