Hose Clamps that don't leak??

alberto_mg

I have a custom radiator setup on my car. As a result, I had to switch from stock formed rubber coolant hoses to 1.5" diameter silicon coolant hoses. I sourced from both bakerprecision and pegasusautoracing. I got the worm clamps from Pegasus as they recommended them to me when I was ordering.

I installed everything a few days ago and have gone through a few heat cycles. I thought I was smelling some coolant so I rented a coolant pressure tester from autozone. Turns out that the worm clamps had all loosed up over just a few days and a few heat cycles. At just 10 PSI of pressure, I would get a fair amount of coolant leaking from the clamped hoses.

Does anyone here have any recommendations on a good clamp that won't leak or loosen up after some heat cycles?

I'm thinking of a T bolt clamp might work - like I have on the intercooler hoses - but am having difficulty finding the right size for a 1.5" inner diameter hose.

Any input from someone who has experienced this would be greatly welcome. Thanks.

Does anyone here have any recommendations on a good clamp that won't leak or loosen up after some heat cycles?

Any input from someone who has experienced this would be greatly welcome. Thanks.

One clamp that works very well is the Python clamp. it's rated up 2500 psi. Cost is not bad. You can check out their web page, or call Vicky at Wildpony Motorsports. the biggest fall back is getting them. Some times next day and sometimes 3 to 4 months. Just never know. But they are amazingly well engineered and you can reuse them over and over.

I use Constant-Tension Lined Worm-Drive Hose Clamps from McMaster on my radiator hoses. They work great. No leaks even after I blew my heat gasket and pressurized the system.

McMaster part number = 5281K17 (5/8" band)

Thanks for the link to McMaster and the PN. I think I will try those. They look pretty frickin cool.

I'm still learning about fasteners but those seem to offer some benefits over the T bolt clamp due to the Constant-Tension attribute.

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I'd update in case anyone stumbles across this thread and decides to use that PN above. The clamps don't work even though the listed range is correct to the diameter of my hose. The clamp just isn't able to tighten up / screw down sufficiently to take up the slack in the worm drive. I'll see if I can take a pic later.

I ordered some Tbolt clamps and some other constant torque clamps made by Breeze to see if that works.

• 1 month later...