Newbie here, with the first of many questions...

Duo

Hello all, I hope to attend my first HPDE class very soon and am starting to look into racing the H4 class in the MWHC. But first things first, I need a car.

I planned on racing a EG6 Si, taking advantage of the D16Z6...however, I'm having a hard time finding an Si that hasn't had the engine ripped out and replaced with a B16, B18, etc. Aside from having to deal with someone elses possible shoddy workmanship, I'd like to avoid the standard sunroof from the Si shell.

So, here's my question...can a D16Z6 from an Si be dropped into a CX/DX shell and still qualify for H4. From what I understand after reading the rules, this would be acceptable, but I'd like to have some outside confirmation on this. Also, is the engine swap alone okay? Or can brakes, etc from the Si be transferred over?

Basically, I'm not going to start out thinking about winning races. I just want to get in fairly cheap and see how I like it and if I have what it takes. A DX/CX will be easy to find and less costly, plus D16Z6 engines are fairly plentiful.

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all, and good luck this season.

You can transfer everything from the SI body to a Dx Body. And still be legal but you still have to meet the minimum weight for that class. and MAX ballast is 150LBS.

Check out the "Chassis Swap" section of the rules. As long as your combination of body, tranny, engine, brakes, etc. was sold in the US, you are golden. But remember, you have to swap EVERYTHING. No halvsies.

Why don't you get an Si with a B and then swap back in the D? It might save time of having to swap everything and give you a good chance to go through all the engine wiring and make sure it is up snuff, instead of just hoping that it is. And then you don't have to deal with any of the swap rules technicalities, since you'll have the stock chassis and engine that came with it. Sell the B for some extra cash.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was pretty sure on the chassis swap rules, but it's nice to hear it in plain english.

Jim, I had considered that option, and still am, however, I've been apart of many engine swaps in the past, as well as many engine swap 'fixer' crews having to redo someone else's mistakes. Aside from having to worry that someone else's work may have to be extensively repaired, I would like to pick up a car that hasn't been abused as much as most swapped cars have been. An everyday transportation car will probably be in better shape mechanically than some 16 year old's EG/B16A hotrod. No offense to the younger guys, but I know that I tore the hell out of my first hybrid Civic. Its just too much fun to drive it hard.

At any rate, with the current availability of stock Si hatches around here, I might find there's no way around it. And after all, if I'm going to take the engine out anyway to make sure everything is kosher, it really won't matter which engine type I'm taking out.

Thanks again all, hopefully I'll see some of you at the next Putnam or Mid-Ohio event.

I have done this to a DX civic. It is amazingly easy. Never done a swap before and had no problem with this one. Look at the manual everything on the DX is the same except for the engine/tranny(of course), rear brakes, ecu, power steering, and sunroof. The CX and VX is different. The fuel tanks, wiring, I believe bumpers and some other stuff that I can't remember. You don't even have to have add a single piece of wiring or splice a connector as long as you have both eng. wiring harnesses(and can read wiring schematic).

I didn't choose the DX for the same reasons. It fell into my lap for $1000 bucks and I raced it as a DX for three years. Only reason I moved up is because, in my area, I wanted the good competition in the class it is in as a Si model.

This will exclude you from running IT in SCCA.

Thanks James! That's what I was hoping to hear from someone. I've found only one Si in the my area and he's asking an awful lot for the condition it is in. DXs seem to be abundant though and the prices are a lot lower. Looks like I'll be scouring the web for Si parts soon!

Thanks again all!